We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus to Plitvice Lakes

London
Level Contributor
196 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Bus to Plitvice Lakes

I've tried looking at some topics on this already but none are very clear. We would like to do a day-trip to Plitvice Lakes from Zagreb. Is it possible to do by public transport? The only alternative would be to spend EUR 170 per person on a short organised tour, which is way outside of my budget.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bus to Plitvice Lakes

The buses leave the main Zagreb Bus Station, and its site is http://voznired.akz.hr/voznired.aspx?lang=en

Type in 'Plitvička jezera'.

The Bus Station can be reached by tram no. 6 from the main square (5th stop) or from the main railway station, no. 2 (3rd stop), both direction East.

Edited: 9:26 am, August 29, 2013
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
45 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bus to Plitvice Lakes

croatiatraveller.com/Zagreb_region/Travel/Bu…

Planning to do this in Oct. Guess this is where the station is.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
45 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Bus to Plitvice Lakes

croatiatraveller.com/Zagreb_region/Travel/Bu…

Will be doing this in Oct. Guess this is where the station is.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Bus to Plitvice Lakes

that would be it. to locate it, check out google maps and type 'Autobusni kolodvor, Zagreb, Croatia'.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Bus to Plitvice Lakes

Zagreb - Plitvička jezera

http://voznired.akz.hr/VozniRed.aspx?lang=

London
Level Contributor
196 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Bus to Plitvice Lakes

As promised, I’m getting back to you on the bus trip from Zagreb to Plitvice Lakes which we made last week.

The first thing to say is that when we arrived at the bus station (about twenty minutes-walk from the city centre) at 8.30 am for the 8.40 am bus we were told that the bus was full. The next one wasn’t until 10.30 am and availability was completely free. So if you intend on making this trip I recommend that you buy the ticket the day before or arrive at least thirty minutes prior to departure to be on the safe side. On the 10.30 am bus there were about six empty seats so I guess we were just a bit unlucky with the earlier one.

The second thing to say is that you cannot buy return tickets, for some strange reason. Coming back you just have to pay on the bus so make sure you have cash. The price we paid for a ticket going out was 93 Kuna which is approximately £10. Entrance for the lakes was 110 Kuna. We then paid 100 Kuna for the bus back but I’ll come back to that later.

The bus was quite modern, quite spacious and quite comfortable. It seems to be used mostly by locals who get dropped off wherever they ask the driver opposed to making regular designated stops at bus stops. There is heavy signposting to the lakes so there’s no chance of you accidentally missing your stop, plus there were around eight other tourists making the same trip who also jumped off at the same stop as us. The bus driver is also aware that the trip is used by tourists to get to the lakes so will probably announce when you arrive even though it is very clear. So no worries there.

One thing we didn’t know prior to going is that there are two entrances to Plitvice Lakes separated by about 2 kilometres. We weren’t sure which one to get off on but the bus goes to both. In hindsight, it really doesn’t matter which one you get off on.

Both entrances have information desks with details of the return bus times. When we got back to the original point for the bus back, the bus stop had a sign telling us to buy tickets from the kiosk opposite. When we tried to do this the guy there told us to just pay on the bus. He also told us that the next bus was at 5.50 pm. I told him that the information desk at the lakes and at the bus station in Zagreb had told us that there was a 5.15 pm bus and just as he was trying to convince me that they were both wrong, the bus came round the corner and we flagged it down and jumped on. This was at 5.05 pm and it didn’t wait around so whichever bus you intend to take back. I recommend arriving twenty minutes earlier just in case.

The bus back charged us 100 Kuna, which was more than the bus in the morning. It was stuffier, smaller, older and less comfortable. What we realised is that there are different bus companies operating the same route which explained the different prices, different quality of the bus and confusion about time schedules between the guy at the kiosk and the information desks.

The journey out took exactly two and a half hours whilst the one back took exactly two hours and there wasn’t any traffic either way so you can tell that the guy coming back was a bit more of an erratic driver as well.

All in all, we’re glad we did the trip independently for a number of reasons. Firstly, it was a great deal cheaper. In total we spent about £30 whereas tour companies were charging from £90 upwards. Secondly, every tour stated a duration of 8 hours which would have meant two hours driving there, two hours driving back and only four hours to explore the lakes which is not enough. Finally, the tour groups at the lake seemed to consist of lots of people just following one person around at a brisk pace whereas doing it independently we were able to go where we want, when we wanted and stop for as long as we wanted for refreshments or to take pictures.

I know the idea of going it alone on the bus can be a bit daunting as you don’t know what to expect but rest assured that it’s really quite easy and the better option.

Rovinj, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Bus to Plitvice Lakes

Thank you for reporting your experience. As you say, there are several bus companies on the route and all on a different timetable.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Bus to Plitvice Lakes

thanks for coming back with your great info, and if you don't mind please put it online as text on tripadvisor's Plitvice page - you don't have to change a thing!

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
45 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Bus to Plitvice Lakes

Thanks for your thorough comments.

Zagreb, Croatia
1 post
Save Reply
20. Re: Bus to Plitvice Lakes

Hello

We are Wanderer travel!

We are doing Plitvice lakes tours every day whole year out, with vans 8+1, drivers speak english and price is same as for a local bus. Also door to door pick up and stopover at Rastoke ethno village are advantages. You can find us on location Trpimirova 25, Zagreb, on facebook Wanderer travellers point,or on 00385912222299