We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving in Zagreb from Budapest

Which Zagreb hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving in Zagreb from Budapest

I will be arriving in Zagreb on the train from Budapest in mid July. I think it arrives in Zagreb at 19;46. What is the area like around the railway station? Is it close to the centre to find cheap but good accommodation? Ideally I don't want to have to get buses etc to a hotel, so the closer to the station the best.

Also, what is the considered to be the centre of Zagreb, for tourism and is it a walkable place? I'm staying for two or three days before moving onto either the coast or Ljubljana.

I'm presuming trains don't need to be booked from Zagareb?

Thanks for any help.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving in Zagreb from Budapest

Across from the train station is a lovely park, also several trams. The 6 goes to the central square where you will find, bars, cafes and few restaurants. Also across from the station is the palace hotel. I suggest you look at a Google map and use your zoom to see where hotels etc. are located. Nothing special here, rather a boring city unless you find bar hopping an activity to participate in. My advice, stay ib Budapest. The train ride from Budapest is 6 - 7 hours. There are no direct flights between the two cities.

Edited: 3:56 pm, June 27, 2013
Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving in Zagreb from Budapest

There is a direct flight Qatar airways of all companies extends to Budapest its daily Qatar to zagreb flight. One way Budapest Zagreb is not cheap about 200 USD! but its 50 minutes vs 7 hours..and lets just say the restrooms and a drink are much better on Qatar than on MAV!! Zagreb is great not boring at all and city centre is a couple of minutes from train..check some booking sites you can find great rooms with nreakfast for 2 for around 35 to 50 Euros per room per night.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving in Zagreb from Budapest

Thanks for your replies. Yes, the airfare wasn't cheap, so we caught the train from Budapest to Zagreb and were lucky as the train was air conditioned on a very hot day. We shared a compartment with some German students who made our journey very interesting and fun. We ended up staying two nights in Zagreb and then took the coach to Zadar on the coast. So, we had one complete day in Zagreb to look around and I really enjoyed it.

We found a good but cheap hotel about ten/fifteen mins walk from the station, the Garden Hotel. I thought Zagreb to be delightful. Enjoyed walking around the city and seeing the cathedral and the square etc and visited the Museum of Broken Relationships which I enjoyed (husband wasn't too bothered about that....lol).

I found Zagreb to be an easy city to see by walking. The railway station and coach station are close to each other and to the city itself. The hotel receptionist told us the trams are free for the first three stops, so we took the tram to the coach station on our last morning.

It was a long journey from Budapest to Zagreb. The train was two hours late having been held up first by passport control. Had to show passports twice to separate officials. The train was then stood a while but no idea why. So it took around nine hours, but with good company it didn't seem that long.

I'm so glad we did go to Zagreb, I thought it a lovely city.

Hot Springs...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving in Zagreb from Budapest

I will be doing the same thing, arriving from Budapest by train in Zagreb. I have booked hotel Esplanade which is just across from Train station I am told. My question is about money? I will have some Euros, having been in Budapest but can I use ATM to get Croatian money? I know my hotel has money exchange but I assume like most hotels the rate is not good.

thanks

Hot Springs...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving in Zagreb from Budapest

I will be doing the same thing, arriving from Budapest by train in Zagreb. I have booked hotel Esplanade which is just across from Train station I am told. My question is about money? I will have some Euros, having been in Budapest but can I use ATM to get Croatian money? I know my hotel has money exchange but I assume like most hotels the rate is not good.

thanks

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
29 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving in Zagreb from Budapest

I will be doing the same thing too in Oct, and staying at the same hotel. Well, I guess exchanging a minimum amount of Kuna from the hotel would be most sufficient. It's a walking city. I plan to go to money exchanger the next day.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving in Zagreb from Budapest

There are ATMs all over the city. Just keep your fingers covered when entering PIN, like everywhere else in Europe...

8. Re: Arriving in Zagreb from Budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 04, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Zagreb