We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

zagreb to plitvice lakes

hawaii
Level Contributor
566 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
zagreb to plitvice lakes

hello

first time in croatia.

trying to decide if doing lakes tour on our own is doable or is it better to go on a tour?

how hard is it to use public transport from zagreb to plitvice lakes?

thank you

gloucester
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: zagreb to plitvice lakes

Hello looking through trip advisor I came acroos yours, can you tell me if you fot to the lakes and if so how did you get there please? also did you enjoy, I have just booked to go to Zagreb for new year holiday and would like to see the lakes even though out of season.

Gill

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
205 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: zagreb to plitvice lakes

We visited Plitvice Park in September 2013. We took a public bus from Zagreb to the park. I think it was about a 2.5 hour ride on a comfortable bus. We purchased the tickets the day before at the bus station just to be sure we knew where and when to get on the bus. I believe Plitvice Park has snow in winter so I would ask a local about the feasibility of a trip in December. We only toured the lower lakes which is one of the most beautiful sites we have ever seen. The expanse, variation and color of the water is amazing-not a word I use often. The next day we took a bus to Split which was about a 5 hour ride with two stops.

Plitvice is well worth seeing but I definitely would check with a local about road conditions in winter. The lower level path is partly wooden slats over/around water and partly very uneven dirt path.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: zagreb to plitvice lakes

We were at Plitvice in late August. We also took bus from Zagreb (2:30pm) and arrived at 4:20pm. We checked into the Plitvice Miric Inn (in the village of Jezerce) which is about 2 miles from the park entrance. The owners gave us a ride to the entrance at about 5:30pm, we bought our tickets, and then walked the trail at the upper end (where the larger falls are). When we were done at around 7pm, we called and they picked us up. Would highly recommend staying there, if they're open in winter. We had a wonderful dinner at the Inn too.

The next morning, they drove us to the other entrance (with our luggage) at around 8:30am. We were able to check our small suitcases and start out before the hordes of day-trippers arrived. It gets crowded around 10am -- the ticket lines were unbelievable later in the day! We took the tram to the lower lakes, hiked the whole trail, and then the boat ride too. Then, we walked back to the entrance where we left our luggage at around 12 noon. The bus stop to Split was right across the road from the entrance, and we were able to have some lunch before getting on a bus (1:30pm I think). Bus ride to Split was very beautiful too.

I hope you can see the park in the winter. It was spectacular.

Chicago
Level Contributor
149 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: zagreb to plitvice lakes

Hello! I hope you dont mind contacting you directly. I saw your post about hiring a private guide to the plitvice lakes. Can you please share your experience? how much did it cost you? Thank you in advance

Berlin, Berlin...
1 post
Save Reply
35. Re: zagreb to plitvice lakes

Hi,

I am from Berlin and will be in Zagreb on the 20th of June. I wish to go on a day trip to Plitvice from Zagreb but all the companies I have contacted so far say they only can take me on a private tour which is very expensive. Can someone please advice me how I can go on a day trip with a group at a more reasonable price?

Thanks,

Bashneen

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
205 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: zagreb to plitvice lakes

Why don't you go to the bus station the day before and obtain the schedule? It will be a long day and really not enough time to enjoy the park as much as it deserves but if you only have one day, why not? Getting assistance at the bus station takes longer than you might think and there is no centralized bus system so you have to visit each company to obtain information. At least we could not figure out another way to do it. The person at the information desk was not very helpful the day we were there. Good luck. It is a beautiful park and we wish we had spent at least 2 night there.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
85 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: zagreb to plitvice lakes

Did you end up finding a group tour to Plitvice from Zagreb? I am also looking for one for September.

Pergamino, Argentina
Level Contributor
16 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: zagreb to plitvice lakes

I wanto to go again to Plitvice because firts time it was raining too much (at that time we had a car). Please let me know where i can get in touch with tours in Zagreb to go during one day.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: zagreb to plitvice lakes

Google a tour company called Funky Zagreb. The guide is Mladen and he is very good. Look for my review here on TA,

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
798 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: zagreb to plitvice lakes

I think day trip is possible DIY.

I stayed one night there and spent almost two full days. But if you are short of time, you can do a day trip from Zagreb yourself. It will be a bit rush.

This is the bus timetable of June 2013 from Plitvicka Jezera to Zagreb that I copied from the bus station last year -

06:52, 11:00, 12:50, 16:45, 17:15, 17:16, 17:50

The trip takes about 2.5 to 3 hours, depends on bus company.

Companies operating this route are -

Autopromet d.d. Slunj

Autotransport Sibenik d.d. U stecaju

Autprijevoz Sinj d.o.o.

Croatia bus d.d. u stecaju

Autopoduzece Z. d.o.o.

Autobusni promet d.d. u stecaju

The phone numbers for enquiry as shown on the bus schedule are -

01 6112 789

060 313 333

You can also do a day trip from Zagrab to Plitivice Lakes, and then going to Zadar. Zadar is actually closer than Zagreb.

Hope it helps.