We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Ljubljana?

Which Zagreb hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greater London...
Level Contributor
150 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Ljubljana?

Hi,

I am visiting Zagreb next week and wondered if a day trip to Ljubljana is worth it? I'm in Zagreb for 4 days.

According to bahn.de I can get these trains:

Dep Zagreb / Arr Ljubljana

0900 / 1121

Dep Ljubljana / Arr Zagreb

1835 / 2035

- I get the impression the tickets are about €20 / 150hrk each way?

- Can a return ticket be bought in Zagreb? Or do I have to buy another ticket in Ljubljana?

- Is it easy to buy them if you don't speak any Croatian at the ticket office?

- Can I buy the tickets the day before?

- Is it ok to leave/re-enter Croatia on the same day for this trip, and again to leave the country at the airport a few days after etc?

Edited: 8:31 am, October 23, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Ljubljana?

Ljubljana is a nice city, this is easily doable, takes 2h20min Zagreb to Ljubljana.

Price is 112 kuna one way; a return ticket can be bought in Zagreb and costs 180 kuna. You can buy the ticket a day earlier, you will be fine with English, and no worries about multiple borders crossings.

1 euro = 7.5 kuna

Be sure to check the forecast, colder weather is forecasted for this region Saturday and onwards. Not sure when exactly you plan to stop by; note that Nov 1st is All Saints Day, a bank holiday in both Croatia and Slovenia (in Slovenia Oct 31 is also a bank holiday).

Greater London...
Level Contributor
150 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Ljubljana?

Thanks, I noticed the bank holidays, so was planning to go on 30th.

Will also pack my scarf and gloves! :)

Rail Europe wanted £44 for the same ticket! (About 408 kuna / €54!)

Edited: 4:58 pm, October 23, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Ljubljana?

Definitely better to buy it when you get here!

If in Zagreb for All Saints Day, be sure to visit Mirogoj cemetery. Sounds strange, but we go en masse and decorate graves and light candles on that day. During the day is OK, but best time is early evening/dark, it will be plenty of people there. Getting to Mirogoj is easy – buses drive non-stop departing infront of the cathedral. Queues for buses get very long but it is well organized, waiting time is 10 min tops, ride is just 5 min.

See how it looks, first 17 photos are from Mirogoj:

jutarnji.hr/blagdan-svih-svetih--tisuce-svij…

Prague, Czech...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Ljubljana?

One day to Ljubljana? It´s a great idea. From my point of view, Ljubljana is more beautiful as Zagreb. I call Ljubljana "small Vienna". :) I persuade that language barrier will not be there, because local people have good English. I recommend you a train as the best transfer between cities.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
150 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Ljubljana?

Got ticket, bit of a communications error though, ended up with 110 kuna single ticket! Official didn't understand, despite being shown print out.of Bahn .de journey etc. Never mind, I'll get a ticket in Ljubljana!

Lokeren, Belgium
Level Contributor
112 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Ljubljana?

Where else than in Zagreb's railwaystation can I buy a return ticket to Ljubljana?

Lokeren, Belgium
Level Contributor
112 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Ljubljana?

http://www.raileurope-world.com

8. Re: Day trip to Ljubljana?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 19, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Zagreb