We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel to Croatia in March and getting around

Seattle
6 posts
Save Topic
travel to Croatia in March and getting around

We are planning a trip to Croatia in mid-March. We plan to fly into Pula and then travel down the coast toward Dubrovnik and back up. My concern is that there might not be enough to do in March. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Are places open or are things shut down for the season? Also, are there enough options between the trains and buses to do this without a car? Thanks to anyone who can help!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
429 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel to Croatia in March and getting around

We traveled from Venice to Dubrovnik and back last March, and found plenty to do, although we routed ourselves through Zagreb and the Plitvice Lakes on the way south, and spent time in Slovenia on the way back [in other words, we didn't do the Istrian peninsula]. The summer-season beach towns on the islands are pretty much closed, which didn't bother me, since we aren't much on beachy resort towns. However, the shops and restaurants in most of the mainland coastal towns, particularly from the Split /Trogir south to Dubrovnik, were open, the weather was spectacular, and there was no traffic at all. Dubrovnik in March is fabulous - - there are no cruise ship crowds, and you have the wall promenade, restaurants, hotels and museums pretty much to yourself.

As for transportation: we are car rental people, so we drove everywhere, and so I can't tell you much about trains and buses, except for this: I don't believe there is much of a railway network in Croatia, or any at all along the Dalmatian coast, and so you'll need to do buses, or the ferry'hydrofoil system, if that's how you want to travel. As we drove the coastal road to Dubrovnik, we noticed the pretty slick-looking hydrofoils that ply the coastal towns, and I believe access the schedule on-line (we took a car ferry from Pag Island to the mainland, and as I recall, finding the schedule was pretty easy). I believe the service is run by Jadrolina (although I may be slaughtering the spelling).

You can find plenty to do! Have fun!

Seattle
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: travel to Croatia in March and getting around

Thanks so much for your information. We are starting to lean towards a car rental as it sounds like the best way to have flexibilty. We just booked our flights today and cannot wait to go!

Tacoma, WA
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel to Croatia in March and getting around

ginamarief

We are also Seattle travelers trying to get into and out of Croatia. Can you please tell me what routing your are going with?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
429 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel to Croatia in March and getting around

When we went last year, we flew Los Angeles-JFK-Venice, picked up a rental car at the Venice Airport, and drove immediately to Zagreb - - about 3 hours by car from Venice. My mother, from Seattle, went Seattle-JFK - Venice, and so we met at JFK.

We spent a few days in Zagreb and environs, then went to the Plitvice Lakes (we stayed in Karlovac), Split, Dubrovnik (4 nights), back up the coast to Pag Island, then 3 nights in Slovenia before flying back out of Venice.

5. Re: travel to Croatia in March and getting around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, August 23, 2009