We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Split

Virginia
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Split

We have planned 3 days in the Split area in June 2007. It has been suggested that we find a hotel/apartment in Trogir. We will use this as a base for visits to Split and Hvar. There seems to be frequent bus service from Trogir to Split with a 30 minute ride. Is it best to stay in center of Trogir or is there also good service from the Ciovo Island? We would be grateful for any suggestions for accomodations. Thanks........Buckala

nyc
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Split

You can do that, or make Split your base since you want to see islands and all ferries are leaving from Split port.There is frequent bus service, but during the summer the trip is longer then 30 min, b/c of all those tourists :-)) You can also rent a room on Ciovo, it is actually island with a bridge, so we never think of Ciovo as an island, it is penisula. I have no idea how good bus service from Ciovo you have. You can google croatia+accomodation and I'm sure you will find place to stay. Also check this site for ferry schedule www.jadrolinija.hr. I love Trogir, I love Split, Hvar is OK, but if you don't have time to visit Dubrovnik go to Korcula, it is small Dubrovnik and you can get ferry to go there from Split. It is longer trip, but you will be glad you went :-))

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
429 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Split

If you stay in Split, which is quite nice, your best bet is the Hotel Peristil. Its rooms are very nice, and the hotel has the best location in Split: it is built into a corner of Diocletian's palace, and so you have the palace and the Split waterfront, as well as a nice selection of shops and cafes, at your doorstep.

USA
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Split

I would also recommend Hotel Peristil without hesitation. We have never been big fans of Split due to the parking and chaos of the city, but after we stayed at the Peristil last summer, my opinion of the city has changed. Being within Diocletian's Palace shed a new light on this great place!

Virginia
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Split

I very much appreciate your suggestions. I did find some other favorable reviews for Hotel Peristil but hesitated because it was suggested that it was best to stay outside of Split due to constraints on parking and congestion. We are renting a car and driving to Croatia from Italy. However, once we arrived in Split we planned to use bus for local travel due to parking. I also understand there is more to do at night outside the old town of Split such as near Trogir.

Can anybody suggest a good internet source for accomodations in this area?

Thanks.......Len

5. Re: Visiting Split

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, August 21, 2009