We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Split to Trieste

Suburban Chicago...
Level Contributor
66 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Split to Trieste

At the end of September, we will be traveling to Italy and will include a six day side trip to Croatia. The plan is to fly from Rome to Split, rent a car and spend our time in the Split area, eventually moving in the direction of Istria and then on to Italy. Our destination after Croatia is Venice. My first question is whether it is feasible to simply drive the car into Italy, drop it in Trieste and take the train to Venice? Another alternative is to take the ferry from Istria (Rovinj or Porec) to Venice, but our timing means we must be on the last ferry scheduled for the year (Oct 4) and I hate to schedule the entire itinerary around the ferry schedule. I also wonder about reliability of that schedule. My final alternative would be to drop the car in northern Croatia and then take a bus to Trieste to get the train into Venice. Any and all suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Best Seller
Croatian Coast Island Speedboat Tour...
187 Reviews
from $131.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Split Island and Cave Tour with Brac...
167 Reviews
from $173.10*
Best Seller
Dubrovnik Sea Kayak Tour with Local...
Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Split to Trieste

Problem with a hired car could be a very high prices for dropping in other country. Otherwise, I don't see to much difference to drive into Trieste or continue two hours more by the motorway to Venice.

If you decide to not drop a car in Italy, you can take a bus from Pula or Rovinj (not from Porec) direct to Venice once daily, or a bus to Trieste then train to Venice.

Suburban Chicago...
Level Contributor
66 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Split to Trieste

Thank you much for the advice. It's very helpful.

3. Re: Driving from Split to Trieste

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 12, 2016