We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Logistical Help on 12 day itinerary

Los Gatos, CA
Level Contributor
88 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Logistical Help on 12 day itinerary

Traveling in July with my daughter and mother and have the following destinations booked with a rental car (IDAR class for 800 Euros, having a hard time determining if that is a lot)

July 8 - 10 - Split Arrive 2:45

July 10 -12 - HVAR

July 12 -15 - Dubrovnik with sightseeing tour on 7/13..

July 15 -17 - Zadar, with sightseeing tour on 7/16

July 17 -18 - Plitvice Lakes

July 18 -20 - Rovinj

July 20 - private transfer to Venice

I'm having a hard time knowing what to do when. I may or may not be able to watch my daughter play waterpolo on July 9 (don't have her tournament schedule yet). So might not have much time in Split......

*She will have been to see Diocletian Palace, is it doable on the day we fly in in the late afternoon?

*If we are taking 3:00 catamaran to Hvar, do I still need to get to harbor early to get tickets (is this just a 'hellalious' experience at this time of year?)

*Should I spend the money on another guided tour to see Montenegro...definitely doing Montenegro some way (saw a link on TA for a great guided tour for 160 euro for up to 3 people)

*My daughter has her heart set on seeing the blue cave, but from what I've read, REALLY crowded in high season and long trip so basically uses a whole day during our time on HVAR...alternatives to appease a 16 year old?

*Is it worth doing a guided tour of Zadar or better to just wing it and take a day trip somewhere

*While in Rovinj, which island day trip should we do? My daughter really wants to see the islands :-)

*We plan on stopping at Punta Rata on the drive down to Dubrovnik. (again beach time for daughter.)

*Concerned about parking in Rovinj (staying at Casa Garzotta )and Zadar (staying at Art Kalelarga) I think one of this hotels parks car for you in public parking?? (luckily hotel in Dubvrovnik has free parking).

A little overwhelmed and don't want to be driving any more than the itinerary already necessitates. Any input suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Explore Dubrovnik by Boat
Boat Tours, Boat Rentals, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Speed Boats Tours
Karlic Tartufi
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
Dubrovnik Transfer Services
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Logistical Help on 12 day itinerary

First of all, why are you not flying to Dubrovnik and moving northwards, one way? Is your daughter participating in some tournament in Split? With going to Dubrovnik and back to Split you'll lose a whole day in travelling....

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
50,185 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Logistical Help on 12 day itinerary

That's a lot of territory to cover in such a short time period...I agree that flying into Dubrovnik makes more sense but not if you have to start in Split for a water polo game.....sounds like you have allt he apartments set though so not sure how flexible you can be now....I wouldn't try to do Dubrovnik and Rovinj in 11 or 12 days though.

Los Gatos, CA
Level Contributor
88 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Logistical Help on 12 day itinerary

Yes, I know it is a bit of back tracking....but my daughter will be in Split for her waterpolo tournament so that is why we are starting there. Since my mother wanted to go to Venice and we have to go 'up that way', I figured we should see the Istria peninsula and I really want to see Dubrovnik. Hence the ambitious itinerary. The drive up to Zadar is what will be the longest and hopefully we will be able to make it enjoyable by stopping at places along the way.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
50,185 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Logistical Help on 12 day itinerary

Zlatni Rat beach at Bol on Brac might appease a 16 year old.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Logistical Help on 12 day itinerary

*She will have been to see Diocletian Palace, is it doable on the day we fly in in the late afternoon? YES

*If we are taking 3:00 catamaran to Hvar, do I still need to get to harbor early to get tickets (is this just a 'hellalious' experience at this time of year?) - Try to get tickets one day ahead of time.

*Should I spend the money on another guided tour to see Montenegro...definitely doing Montenegro some way (saw a link on TA for a great guided tour for 160 euro for up to 3 people) - You're over-extending your time on the road if you do.

*My daughter has her heart set on seeing the blue cave, but from what I've read, REALLY crowded in high season and long trip so basically uses a whole day during our time on HVAR...alternatives to appease a 16 year old? - Let her stay out in Hvar as long as she wants to. That's what all young people do there...

*Is it worth doing a guided tour of Zadar or better to just wing it and take a day trip somewhere - You can do either or, or even both. Or just stroll the old town by yourself, with a map, and take a day trip e.g. to the Kornati Islands NP. Fabulous!

*While in Rovinj, which island day trip should we do? My daughter really wants to see the islands :-) - You can go to the Brijuni Islands NP, and antoher great sea excurison is to the Lim Fjord (oysters, mussels...)

*We plan on stopping at Punta Rata on the drive down to Dubrovnik. (again beach time for daughter.) - Great. Or along Makarska riviera... Pebble beaches...

*Concerned about parking in Rovinj (staying at Casa Garzotta )and Zadar (staying at Art Kalelarga) I think one of this hotels parks car for you in public parking?? (luckily hotel in Dubvrovnik has free parking). - Your concerns are well grounded. Check with your apartment about parking.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
14,252 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Logistical Help on 12 day itinerary

IMO your itinerary is rushed. You only have 1 full day in each place except Dubrovnik, where you have 2 days. A lot of driving in such a short time.

7. Re: Logistical Help on 12 day itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 31, 2015