We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help planning a 2014 trip to Croatia

igs
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
287 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Help planning a 2014 trip to Croatia

My wife and I visited Croatia in the summer of 2010 (seeing Dubrovnik, Korchula, Hvar and Split) and are in the early stages of planning another trip to Croatia in 2014. We have about 7 days or so.

Our tentative plan is to fly into Zadar and spend two nights there, travel to one of the islands in the Kvarner Gulf (which I'll ask about below) for three nights and then spend two nights in Rovinj (from there to Venice).

From what I've read of the islands, we are considering either Mali Losinj or Rab Town for our stay. Any advice as to which would be better for a three night stay? We also have to take into account accessibility, both getting there from Zadar and leaving to go to Rovinj. We are also interested as to which place has the most to do by way of day trips etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

igs
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
287 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help planning a 2014 trip to Croatia

Any help on this? Tough to make a decision.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
36,898 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help planning a 2014 trip to Croatia

I think its a tough one because of the distance between Zadar and Rovinj. How do you plan on travelling? Will you have a car? My first thought was to go from Zadar to Rab Town, but not sure how you would then get from Rab to Rovinj since I don't know of ferry options around there. Hopefully someone else can help but I think it would help to know if you have a car or not.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
36,898 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help planning a 2014 trip to Croatia

Also...can you let me know why you would fly into Zadar? Could you possibly fly into Pula and spend all of your time in that region, which would keep you closer to Rovinj?

Croatia
Level Contributor
154 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help planning a 2014 trip to Croatia

You can't go wrong with either of the 2 islands. I know there's a catamaran (no cars) from Zadar to Mali Losinj and then from ML to Pula. From Pula you can catch a bus or a taxi to Rovinj. Check Jadrolinija webpage for the ferry and Autotrans for buses. There's a bus from ML or Rab to Rijeka and then to Rovinj but I don't know how to get from Zadar to Rab, maybe there's a bus too? Try Autotrans again or bus terminal Zadar/Rab/Pula/Rovinj to check if there are connecting bus lines

All of these rides between Zadar, Losinj and Rovinj are relatively short but check the timetables before planning

Edited: 1:56 pm, September 17, 2013
igs
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
287 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help planning a 2014 trip to Croatia

Thanks for all the help.

The general idea is to start in Zadar (likely flying in from Paris) and work our way north, mostly by catamaran or ferry. We did that a few years ago in traveling from Dubrovnik to Korchula, Hvar and then Split, and it seemed to work well.

I hope to avoid renting a car if at all possible.

If we can get to Pula from either Rab or ML and then grab a taxi or bus to Rovinj, that would work just fine.

Why fly into Zadar? Well, we ended our last trip in Split and it seemed like a good spot to restart our journey in Croatia. From what I've read, Zadar looks like a good place to visit and, I think, it's fairly close to Plitvice. Not sure about that.

Croatia
Level Contributor
154 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help planning a 2014 trip to Croatia

Yes you can go to Plitvice from Zadar, I just posted a link to a different topic here (Dubrovnik to Plitvice lakes)

There's a catamaran from ML to Pula and a 30 minut bus ride from Pula to Rovinj but check the times of arrival/departure first

Edited: 3:40 pm, September 17, 2013
igs
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
287 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help planning a 2014 trip to Croatia

Thanks. Perhaps Mali Losinj makes the most sense from a transportation perspective.

new york
Level Contributor
305 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help planning a 2014 trip to Croatia

We are planning our first trip and looking to stay 2 nights at either Hvar or Korchula. Which would you suggest since you've been to both.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,560 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help planning a 2014 trip to Croatia

here is the link to the Zadar-Pula this year's schedule, which should be rather similar also next year, according to which it would be the most comfortable for you to go to Mali Lošinj and onwards to Pula by the catamaran. From Pula to Rovinj there's local buses from the main bus station, and you may take a cab to get there from the port. Mali Lošinj is very pretty...

jadrolinija.hr/docs/…

When in Zadar, you can take public buses to get to Plitvice, but it might be much more comfortable, again, to take a ride with a tourist agency one-day trip. That way you will shorten the travelling time to and fro Plitvice, and have more time to enjoy the lakes.

Edited: 6:22 pm, September 17, 2013
igs
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
287 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help planning a 2014 trip to Croatia

Freshfields, that's a tough choice because they're both beautiful.

However, if I had to pick one place for a two day stay, I would go with Hvar. There's a little more to see and do there.