We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in Croatia

Ireland
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
10 days in Croatia

Hi, me and my partner are planning a trip to Croatia next Summer, we are going to book our flights this weekend. We will be flying London to Dubrovnik.

We are planning to do the following:

2 nights in Dubrovnik

2 nights in Korcula

3 nights in Split

2 nights in Hvar

the back to Dubrovnik for our last night before our flight home.

We dont plan to spend too much on the holiday overall. Should we do the trip in a different order? are there any other must see places we should go to? Whats the best mode of transport? boat? bus? what sort of prices for travel between these places? Many thanks folks.

Ireland
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days in Croatia

Also would it work out much cheaper renting apartments instead of hotels?

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,539 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days in Croatia

backwards: it would be much cheaper to rent apartments instead of hotels.

as for your trip, the order doesn't matter, but your trip is just about travelling. some of Croatian magic lies in coastal relaxed, laid-back, a siesta kind of life, but you will never allow yourself to get immersed if you change towns every second day. plus, it will be hot, and ask yourself if you really want to change beds all the time, pull your suitcases, wait for buses, ferries,... in heat...

if you want some sightseeing, then rather choose a cooler season other than summer (spring or autumn would be perfect for that).

however, if you stick with your idea of a trip, then why not flying into Dubrovnik and flying out of Split?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days in Croatia

Agree, do not hop around too much. Stay longer in smaller place like Korcula or Hvar, avoid big cities, skip Split except for going off or on ferries and check Split old town in a few hours only for a truly memorable vacation. There are Korcula to Hvar ferries. See jadrolinija.hr for details.

Do this sequence: Du-Ko-Hv-Sp-Du with following nights 1-4-4-0-1 or 2-2-5-0-1. I would personally even advise 0-3-6-0-1 for a completely relaxing holiday.

Avoid hotels. Rent rooms. Avoid Hvar town to save money as there are cheaper options outside of Hvar town on that island. Please also realize that Dubrovnik is overcrowded and very expensive in high season.

Edited: 9:49 pm, September 09, 2013
Ireland
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days in Croatia

Thanks for the help guys, the only time I can go is peak Summer season as I am a teacher. I like the idea of spending more time on the islands so we can properly relax. So would you guys advise spending very litlle time in Split? We can only fly into and out of Dub, it would suit to fly out of Split but its working out too dear. At the minute we are getting return flights from London - Dub for £350 for the two of us including bags.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days in Croatia

Although this adds to your holiday, quite a few people I've spoken to have said it's worth visiting Montenegro / Kotor.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,612 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days in Croatia

I think your trip will work and you should be able to book apartments very reasonably if you are doing it now - which then makes places like Hvar Town slightly cheaper. The only thing that I would say is that you are surcharged if you stay less than 3 nights in a place - particularly in peak season - so 3 nights in 3 places might be better.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 days in Croatia

You don't say when in summer you are going, but Hvar Town is very affordable (certainly more so than Dubrovnik) outside of July and August and even if you are going then, if you are booking now as Jude says you should get good rates.

Durham
Level Contributor
4,328 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 days in Croatia

If you have to fly to and from Dubrovnik it might be better to concentrate on Dubrovnik and Korcula plus Lastovo or Mljet if you want somewhere quieter for contrast. It is possible to visit Hvar as a day trip from Korcula although it means an early start to catch the 6am catamaran.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,988 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 days in Croatia

What have you read that you want to see/do? Deciding how much time to spend in town versus on an island is a personal thing and dependent on what you want to do. No where will be less crowded--I doubt even Lastovo (it fills in August--if you are talking about early July then I'd say go for it).

Dubrovnik and Split are only 4 hours apart by bus so you can easily do a loop--islands by ferry one way and bus return. The ferry schedules will be available from jadrolinija. There are seasonal operators for catamarans in summer as well--Krilo is one.

I would depart from Dubrovnik your arrival day and return for the last 2 nights there. The rest will depend on ferry schedules and what you wish to do. Note also Korcula and Dubrovnik are connected by bus.

Ireland
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 days in Croatia

I will be flying to Dub on 19th July 2014. I would much rather spend time on islands/ beaches than in towns/ cities. Thanks for all of the information so far guys, its been really helpful.