We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for a 7-10 day trip to Croatia end of August 2014

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
113 posts
231 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for a 7-10 day trip to Croatia end of August 2014

My wife and I, both in our early 60s and seasoned travelers, are starting to organize a trip to Croatia for end of August, beginning of September 2014. We have never been to Croatia. I have no idea how to organize this trip let alone what airport to fly into from the US. The only scheduling limitation that I have is that I have to be in Barcelona on or about September 8, 2014. My arrival into Croatia is flexible. I am ok with driving a rental a car or taking boats and ferries or traveling by train. The entire area looks spectacular and appears to be fascinating. I would be very grateful for any itinerary suggestions anyone can give us. Thank you in advance for your help

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for a 7-10 day trip to Croatia end of August 2014

you may get some help by researching the Croatian tourist board site at http://croatia.hr/en-GB/Homepage and suggest you pick the airport once your choose what itinerary to make or where to stay. it all depends on whether you would do a 'if Tuesday, it must be Rome' kind of trip,or want to relax in one place and make day trips. btw, end of August is excellent time of year, as it's still warm, but not too hoot, usually...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
113 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for a 7-10 day trip to Croatia end of August 2014

Thank you very much, happybypleasure. I am thinking that flying into Zagreb will be the most convenient option for us given that we are flying in from the west coast of the US. Given that we have a maximum of 9 days, I was thinking of a few days in Zagreb and then on to the coast by either train or car. Your input on this option would be great. I know that I can fly to Barcelona from Split so it seems most practical to end our trip there. Any suggestions as to what places to visit given these parameters? Again, thanks so much for your help

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for a 7-10 day trip to Croatia end of August 2014

thanks for more info. ergo, 2 nights in Zagreb, to get off jet leg, take a car definitely, drive to Plitvice Lakes with an early start from Zagreb (1.5-2 hrs by car), depart either late p.m. or tmw morning.

as for the coastal area, it would be highly advisable to posit yourself in a smaller place and use it as a base, so you can decide whether you just want to chill out by the beach, or make day trips. my favourite for having access to many sites yet being both small and big enough not to be bored yet having all the facilities is Biograd na Moru, some 20 miles from Zadar to the south. it is equally close to the coastal highway as Zadar, and you may make a zillion day trips all over: Pag island, Zadar definitely (once an ancient Roman centre on peninsula), Mt. Paklenica NP, Kornati Islands NP, Šibenik with its Renaissance cathedral made entirely in drywall with world first Baroque elements and lovely mediaeval shaped town, nearby RIver Krka NP, nearby Primošten, a townlett on small peninsula, ... One place you should not miss is Split, and don't know when your outbound flight leaves, but if it's in the evening, you might use the day for sightseeing.

otherwise, you might opt to stay in Trogir, Split itself, or in smaller places to the south of Split....

4. Re: Ideas for a 7-10 day trip to Croatia end of August 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 am, November 23, 2013
5. Re: Ideas for a 7-10 day trip to Croatia end of August 2014

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:52 pm, November 22, 2013
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,172 posts
496 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for a 7-10 day trip to Croatia end of August 2014

kristina,

I am laughing that you are advertising on all these theads on the Croatian Forums...Wonder how long , before your posts are gone..bad bad...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for a 7-10 day trip to Croatia end of August 2014

Having a rental car means more flexibility, obviously, as you're not waiting around for buses and trains (which are frequent, but as it's summer, are quite packed). Zagreb, Plitvice, Split and at least one island! There are so many great places though, I'd also add Varazdin and Pula if you had an extra week, and Dubrovnik if you had an extra few days on top! Love Croatia, 6th trip there in May!

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
20 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for a 7-10 day trip to Croatia end of August 2014

Here are my suggestions . 1st day resting and visiting Zagreb . Second day rent a car and drive to NP Plitvice (Lakes) - visit and overnight . 3rd day vgo to Zadar , make a boat trip to NP Kornati - overnight . 4th day visit to Krka and Sibenik - overnight. If you love to sail , the next day in Split rent a yacht and sail two days - I recommend the nearby islands of Brac , Hvar , Vis .If you do not like sailing (or because you are a little tired of driving and sightseeing previous days), there are day trips to the island, rent one. Give others to drive for you, and you just enjoy :) After returning to Split, go to Dubrovnik by car, bus or even plane (if it is no too expensive for you, you can save many hours of driving). Stay in Dubrovnik one day - sightseeing and overnight . Then return to Split , sightseeing Split , night and flight to Barcelona . This is somewhere around 7-8 days. Depending on your time, you can extend one more day in Dubrovnik, Split or somewhere where you prefer. I'm on your age and I have to tell you , from my personal experience , this is not a small tour. You can omit something , because your holidays should not just be chasing attractions . Our coastline is beautiful , we have beautiful beaches and clear blue waters, excellent fresh local food and wine - you have to think about your own enjoyment :) I want you a nice vacation in Croatia !

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
20 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideas for a 7-10 day trip to Croatia end of August 2014

You've involved me in thinking this whole evening. I found something even better suggestion from my previous post. I'll put the link, and you translate it using Google Translator, etc. How do you get back from Dubrovnik to Split, you decide-whether by car, plane or bus. Here's the link:

www.gulliver.hr/hrv/clanak_fly_drive.php…

Cheers!

10. Re: Ideas for a 7-10 day trip to Croatia end of August 2014

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 25, 2014