We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time one week trip in early May

ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First time one week trip in early May

Hello,

My husband and I are planning a trip to Croatia in early May (9th or 10th) for one week. My ancestral home is in Vivodina and it would be really neat to check it out but how much time to devote and is it really worth it. We are from the U.S. and thinking of flying into Zagreb to hit Vivodina. Then, train or rental car (?) to Plitvice as a day trip. Then to Dubrovnik for 3 nights. Any suggestions to this and any suggested day trips worthwhile from Dubrovnik? Are we missing out by skipping over Split? I feel a calling to view my roots in Vivodina but is that too out of the way for a one week trip where perhaps, most of our time should be centered more southern?

Thank you all for any insight.

CMA

Norfolk, Virginia
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: First time one week trip in early May

Hi! My sister and I are planning the same trip (from the US and have a Vivodina family history). We are going there as well in early May and hope to find some family members and explore the tiny town (you aren't by chance a Mikan, are you?). I wish you the best of luck! I imagine it is worth it. That is where we are from; I believe that there is meaning in visiting for that reason. I hope you have an inspiring trip! Best, Molly Mikan (in case you are a Mikan, please email me: mpmikan@hotmail.com)

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time one week trip in early May

Before I give you any advice try and fly into Zagreb and out of Dubrovnik. You can pick p a rental vehicle in Zagreb and drop off in Dubrovnik. This would save you an entire day with no 7 hour drive back to Zagreb from Dubrovnik!! Upon arival in Zagreb stay there a night and drive to visit your ancestral town, next day 2 hour drive to Plitvice plan about 4 hours to tour the park then drive another 2 hours to say Zadar area on the coast. Next day drive 2 hours to Split and Trogir area these are must see, with a night there its then a 4 hour drive to Dubrovnik. If you can fly out of Dubrovnik then its 4 days there if not and back to Tagreb its 3 nights in Dubrovnik and the final night in Zagreb before your departure home.

ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time one week trip in early May

Thank you for your note. No, i am not a Mikan but wouldn't that have been so cool! Have a wonderful trip.

ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time one week trip in early May

Thank you for your suggestion. We decided to rent a car for when in zagreb and then fly to dubrovnik to save the time driving. Hopefully we will have another chance to see the things we missed.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time one week trip in early May

CMK33 - I will be visiting my husband's family village, Vivodina, in July with members of the Croatian Fraternal Union's Junior Tammies group. If you are interested in any pictures of the village, I would be happy to take them while there and send them to you.

We only plan to be in Vivodina for the afternoon, along with 9 other days throughout Croatia. Apparently, it remains a VERY small village.

Terre Haute, Indiana
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time one week trip in early May

hello my grandpa and family from vivodina--do you have pictures of the village -

Terre Haute, Indiana
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time one week trip in early May

Im a Bendekovich originally from Uniontown ,Pa

Edited: 11:38 pm, January 31, 2014
8. Re: First time one week trip in early May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 02, 2015