We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary check

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary check

Hi,

I am planning a trip with my wife to Croatia for 16 days in July 2013, and would be grateful for any comments on the itinerary I have set out below. We have a reasonable (but not inexhaustible) budget, and will have a rental car between Zagreb and Split. We are interested in experiencing the culture, history, and natural beauty (particularly beaches).

Fri: Fly into Zagreb Aiport, staying overnight at Airport hotel

Sat: Pick up hire car and drive to Rovinj

Sun: Day trip from Rovinj to Porec and Piran

Mon: Day trip from Rovinj to Motovun & Groznjan

Tue: Drive from Rovinj to Pula, then on to Zadar by evening

Wed: Zadar

Thu: Zadar – day trip to Plitvice lakes

Fri: Drive from Zadar to Split, remainder of the day in Split

Sat: Day trip to Trogir from Split

Sun: Hvar or Korcula

Mon: Hvar or Korcula

Tue: Hvar or Korcula

Wed: Bus from Split to Dubrovnik, remainder of day in DBV

Thu: Day trip to Mostar, B&H

Fri: Day trip to Kotor , Montenegro

Sat: Dubrovnik

Sun: Flying home from Dubrovnic

While we are active travellers who like to see plenty of sights while we are travelling, I'm wary of cramming the trip so much that it is no longer enjoyable. Am I being realistic?

Any advice gratefully received.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary check

I think it looks pretty good, and if you are feeling lazy, you can always skip a day trip and chill. You are right on the money picking Hvar or Korcula--either one will be great.

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
340 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary check

You're planning on travelling from Zadar to Split on a Friday and then going back to do a day trip to Trogir the day after. Perhaps you should travel from Zadar to Trogir, stay the night in Trogir and then go on to Split the day after?

Also you could go to Hvar, have a night and then go to Korcula by ferry and then on to Dubrovnik from there by ferry or bus.

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary check

Thanks very much for the feedback (and in particular for the suggestion about heading to from Hvar to Dubrovnik via Korcula).

I know that the day trip from Split to Trogir will involve backtracking over territorty that I've already covered - I'm just trying to avoid having to change hotel too many times.

I'm a little worried about the first Sunday in Porec and Piran - are most Croatian towns totally shut down on a Sunday, or are they a bit more lively in high season?

Thanks again

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
504 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary check

In July everything for tourist (restaurants, bars...) works, even on Sunday.

Edited: 8:41 am, February 08, 2013
Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,057 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary check

I think you have the proportions about right and if you feel like chilling out rather than taking a day trip then you can. Rovinj - Zadar - Split - Hvar/Korcula - Dubrovnik. Is there anything saying which island you would prefer? Hvar Town will be very busy and party-ish but you may have considered elsewhere. From Korcula you don't have to back-track to Split as you can get direct to Dubrovnik by bus or boat - the Nona Ana runs in July & August only http://www.gv-line.hr/raspored.php?linija=3

And yes, Sundays are quieter out of season as the Catholic church pushed for a ban on shops being open, but in the season everything is open until late evening.

6. Re: Itinerary check

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 10, 2014