We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oryx rental cars

Klamath Falls Or
Level Contributor
103 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Oryx rental cars

Any experience with Oryx rental cars, especially with pick up at one location and drop off at another? They appear way less expensive than anyone else for one-way rental.

86 replies to this topic
Rovinj, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oryx rental cars

Oryx is a reputable Croatian company that we have used a few times without a problem

Klamath Falls Or
Level Contributor
103 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oryx rental cars

Thanks for sharing your experiences with Oryx.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oryx rental cars

Yes, another vote for reliable and good service

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oryx rental cars

I've used Oryx a couple of times - they used to be AMC (I think) and I used them then as well.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oryx rental cars

Good price, nice that we could rent the wifi hotspot. It was invaluable a few times on the long drive from Zagreb to Dubrovnik.

I recommend izzirent.com. We found a way better price there than any other online site. It was also a better price than what was posted at the agency.

Mentioned in this post
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Split, Croatia
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oryx rental cars

We have had terrible service from oryx in Zagreb city. We waited over 2 hours for a car. The staff told us lies about why it took so long. When I asked to speak to a manager they refused to allow me to do so! Then when we finally got a car the airconditioning was broken and the electrical system was bad so we could not use our GPS? It was a totally bad experience. Avoid oryx!!

Mentioned in this post
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oryx rental cars

I recently did a one way car rental from Dubrovnik to Split. No complaints, though Split downtown drop off is a little tricky to find. However, like all car rental agencies, be careful that you aware of all the extra costs that they levy beyond the initial quote. For example, there is an additional charge for dropping off at a different office to collection.

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oryx rental cars

WORST rental car company I have ever experienced in my life!! (and I have experience more than 10!!)

I rented a car from them just in April 2013 and we experienced all the TERRIBLE stuff from the very beginning til the very end (and issue still going on!!) *****DO NOT RENT FROM THEM EVER!!!!!!!!*****

I travel a lot and have rented cars in many many countries and I have NEVER had any problems ever.

Here’s what happened:

When we went to pick up a car (in Zagreb), they took almost ONE HOUR to process it and we had to just stand the entire time. 1) They don’t have a chair for customers to sit 2) Their systems were broken. We were in a hurry and by taking almost one hour to get it!! (seriously, other companies would just take 15-20 min at the maximum).

After driving a car for a few hours (the afternoon of the first day), the oil leaked!!!! And we were on a mountain on the way down south. Imagine you in a foreign country, don’t even speak Croatian (but we speak English well) and suddenly the car you rented was oil leaked out of nowhere!

We were panic. Then we stopped and call Oryx office in Zagreb and there was no answer! (and it was afternoon!!) so we called office at Zagreb airport (twice!!) also NO ANSWER!! And we called another office at Dubrovnik (also no answer!!!). So we called the guy who gave us the car (we asked for his WORST rental car company I have ever experienced in my life!! (and I have experience more than 10!!)cellphone number before that) and when we told him the oil leaked, he said he doesn’t understand!! His English was very bad! And so what? We are left on our own!! FIRST HORRIBLE DAY! We managed to find the gas station and we bought the oil and filled it in the car. And you think problem is over? NO.

The next day while we were driving, the car showed a sign that oil is empty again. So that was when we realized it was leaking! And imagine we rented the car for 6 days!!! We had to keep stopping and buying oil to fill in and we were so scared that the car could have broken down on the mountain and we will be stuck. IT RUINED OUR ENTIRE TRIP!!! Really spoiled our precious moment!!!

That’s not the end.

The day we arrived in Dubrovnik airport to return the car, they totally refused and said “oh, we don’t know how it happened”. We said we wanted a refund. This is totally ruined our trip. And the boy at the counter said he can’t do anything. Must be his boss who decides. So he called the boss and afterwards, the only thing we were told was “to just leave first, and they will get back to us on email about what happened and what they could do for us” so we had no choice but to just get the docs and leave. They PROMISED that they will get back to us. Almost 2 weeks later, we never received any email from them so I emailed them to follow up. The only thing we got was “Thank you for your email, we will get back to you” type of automessage. And what’s next? We never heard anything from them ever since. 2 months later, they sent us a bill that they will charge us full amount on credit card and they didn’t even subsidized the amount of oil that we had to buy at gas stations the whole trip to fill in their car!!!!! How horrible is that? We won’t pay them for sure.

I never had any problem renting a car in UK, USA, Australia, Singapore, New Zealand e

Mentioned in this post
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik Airport
Dubrovnik Airport
Dubrovnik, Croatia
england
Level Contributor
324 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oryx rental cars

We also rented from Orxy in Croatia, picked up at DUbrovnik airport and dropped off in Split. We had a great car, excellent service both on pick up and drop off and the price was much cheaper than any other operator with no one way rental fee.Perhaps we were lucky but I think all the operators are similar, having rented cars on 5 continents through dozens of companies I have only once had a poor experience from a hire car company, this taught me to take out an annual policy to cover any excess insurance on my car hire and now I just go for the best price, works for me.

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Dubrovnik Airport
Dubrovnik Airport
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Split
Split
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
758 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oryx rental cars

We rented a car through Auto Europe (in Maine) and they booked our car through Oryx in Zagreb. We planned to drive to all eight Balkan countries and got permission to drive in all of them but Kosovo. We stressed that we needed a good GPS as we were driving on roads in languages we did not understand. We found it was too expensive to rent in one spot and deliver to another, so we returned it to the same location.

We found that the GPS unit only had maps for Slovenia and Croatia. It had spots for maps for Serbia, Macedonia, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Montenegro, but they were not loaded. We also found that the maps for Croatia had not been updated and the GPS itself issued a notice that they were out of date and needed to be updated (for a fee and a necessary code). We found that when we were trying to get on the equivalent of the freeway outside Dubrovnik, on our way to Split, that it did not have the new freeway extension on it and we got lost and spent a lot of time trying to figure out where we were.

The biggest problem was in the big cities trying to find our hotels. Without the GPS, negotiating Sarajevo, Belgrade, Nis, Skopje, Ohrid, all of Albania (also including roads that show up on maps that aren't built yet, and Durres and Tirana) and Kotor, were nightmares. We spent many, many extra hours, stopping for directions multiple times, trying to communicate with people that don't speak English, where we were trying to go. On the other hand, when we had the GPS where it did work, such as Dubrovnik, Split, Zagreb and Ljubljana, we got to where we wanted to go easily and efficiently.

When we dropped off our car at Zagreb airport, no one was there to check in the car before we had to take our flight back to the U.S. There was a note that they were out delivering a car. So we were not able to address our payment for the GPS or our GPS problem with them at that time.

We went directly to Oryx and to Auto Europe to complain and just got notified by Auto Europe that Oryx was denying refunding us any of our money. They said the GPS was working just fine and that we should have contacted them shortly after it became a problem if it wasn't.

The car was great. It only had about 1,500 kilometers on it when we got it. But we are very unhappy with the service (or lack thereof) at dropoff, their response to our problem and the fact that they obviously paid no attention to the GPS before we picked it up.

That one matter had a huge impact on our trip and I am very unhappy at the Oryx response.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Serbia
Serbia