We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Dubronik to Rome

Connecticut
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Dubronik to Rome

We are renting a car in Rome, taking it by ferry from Ancona to Dubrovnik, then planning to drive up the coast to Trieste, over to Venice, etc., ending in Rome.

All car rental companies tell me that we can take a vehicle from Rome to Dubrovnik, but cannot drive into Slovenia, Montenegro or Bosnia. It appears from my map that you actually pass through Slovenia and Bosnia when driving up the coast from Dubrovnik. Is this correct, and, if so, will this pose a problem with the authorities (assuming there is a checkpoint at the borders(s)? Many thanks.

Best Seller
Croatian Coast Island Speedboat Tour...
189 Reviews
from $131.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Split Island and Cave Tour with Brac...
168 Reviews
from $173.40*
Best Seller
Dubrovnik Sea Kayak Tour with Local...
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
61,108 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Dubronik to Rome

You will drive through Bosnia-Herzegovina for a few miles but I don't see this as a problem. I actually like your idea of going back to Rome by road. You will see some great views.

You will also need to cross over Slovenia, but the border checkpoints won't know about your rental companies policies so it would be if were to take the chance of crossing these areas and not have any accidents or tickets or whatever. I guess I can't believe a company would say no to Slovenia?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Dubronik to Rome

Thank you for your reply. The car rental company tells me that the paperwork will indicate that the car is not allowed to be in Bosnia or Slovenia, but I would be surprised if the authorities actually read the paperwork, especially since we are just passing through. Do you happen to know if there are actually checkpoints at the borders? Thanks again.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Dubronik to Rome

Italians are crazy about their rentals. I had a hell of time to figure out Venice rental to be able to travel to Bosnia, Croatia and Slovenia. It seems that only SIXT allow anything you need. You just need to tell them upfront where you want to go and they will prepare all necessary papers (special "green card" insurance for Bosnia).

This is what SIXT says on their site:

"For ferrying the car an advanced written authorization from Sixt Italy is required. The use of car ferries to Sardinia is not permitted.

Cross Border Rentals are allowed to the following countries:

Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland.

Cross Border Rentals to Croatia and Slovenia are allowed with the exeption of the following vehicle group: FDAR, PFAR, FWMR, SVMR and FVMR.

Cross Border Rentals to Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hugary are allowed with the exception of the following vehicle group: IDMR, SDMR, IVAR, FDAR, PFAR, FWMR, SVMR and FVMR.

In case of violation against Cross Border & Territorial Restrictions all insurances lose their validity.

So, you need to notify thep upfront about your intention. As you can see, you cannot rent just every car you want - smaller ones are just fine. We rented Fiat 500 for that purpose and everything was OK.

Lately, they have mileage limits!

Someone says AVIS is OK and cheaper these days. Check them out, too.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
61,108 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Dubronik to Rome

Crossing the corridor in Bosnia you might get stopped but most times we have just been waved through. Not sure about what is done going into Slovenia, but I would guess you would be stopped to check passports.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Dubronik to Rome

Thanks very much for this helpful information.

6. Re: Driving from Dubronik to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:41 pm, June 18, 2013