We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety in croatia

london
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
safety in croatia

Croatia, dont go, just dont go, its an unsafe place with a culture praying on young backpackers, its dangerous, if you value your life, dont go.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety in croatia

Total rubbish, Croatia is one of the safest places on Earth. First post and you start with this ?????????

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
8,019 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety in croatia

Yeah, no kidding! This is pretty odd.

Croatia is one of the safest countries I have ever been to (and I have been to many).

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
50,185 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safety in croatia

Don't go to any country even your own if you listen to this garbage! Croatia is a very very safe country and never once have I felt threatened at any time.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: safety in croatia

The OP is referring to a newly released Australian TV documentary claming that there is an organized gang in Dubrovnik kidnapping backpackers (all linked with Britt Lapthorne case).

The TV forgot to say that even though more than 500k people visit Dbk every year, not a single one person, backpacker or not, was kidnapped – EVER.

London, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: safety in croatia

www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph

Bottom of the page left hand side. This is a serious story and merits serious attention.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safety in croatia

Croatia is safer than the rest of the Mediterranean combined!

Brit Lapthorne story is a sad one but, if they were to kidnap her, why is she dead? Why thrown in the waters near the Old Town just like that? Amateurish, to say the least... That alone tells that there is no "organized group". Why a WESTERNER when they know that their governments will react and it will be all over the news and all over the planet? It is not like the poor Polish workers that get killed in the south of Italy every year and no one cares...

Way too many questions!

Knowing how many young folks behave when they drink too much, and knowing the coast around Dubrovnik, more likely is that she got sick on a dangerous place and just fell on the rocks in the water...

Pure yellow journalism trying to make a story out of few facts...

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: safety in croatia

Exactly how safe is London?

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safety in croatia

Du-travellady, don't expect that person to answer.

My first reaction was to ask for removal of the post, but it is better that it stays like this.

Dear TA members, go on commenting this topic!

vrata
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: safety in croatia

I can just repeat what Dubrovniktravelady said:

"Exactly how safe is London?"

Been there in 1996. Have been mugged there, two times in one week, but I'm only a man... Can't wait to go back...

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: safety in croatia

Jackie99,

of course it deserves serious attention, no one questions that. Believe me, Britt's case got all the attention and high priority treatment in media, police even politics. Both Croatian and Australian forensics found no trace of any violence.

One dead girl and no answers – public interest is understandable and we all hope the case will be resolved. What is not fair is that the TV has portrayed Dubrovnik as a bush where some shady characters kidnapping girls are tolerated. Too much sensationalism and lack of good taste.