We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferries

Northampton
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ferries

We are going to Croatia on Saturday for 13 days and are hiring a car. Do we need to book ferries in advance?

London, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferries

You can only pre book international routes and the long distance coastal route. Local ferries are first come first served. Get in the queue early and be prepared. Some routes are worse than others.

Northampton
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferries

Thank you for this info

So I am presuming that we need to go very early to avoid lengthy queues!!

USA
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferries

We had to wait for the next ferry once when going from Makarska to Brac...but other than that, we have made it on the first ferry. We arrived a good hour before departure with each time though. Get there early, go grab some coffee, lunch, breakfast, etc....

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
36,898 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferries

For most of the local routes there are ferries leaving every hour to an hour and a half, so even if you missed one ferry, another will be there soon enough.

Northampton
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferries

Thanks very much for your help on this one. I don't suppose you know of any good campsites and whether we need to book in advance?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
36,898 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferries

I was researching a bit and found the following site--- http://www.camping-guide-croatia.com/

To me it looked like you could reserve spots at some spots but they had places for those that didn't reserve in advance. At this point it doesn't seem like you have many options other than finding a cheap apartment if you can't get into the campground. Good luck and have a great trip!

7. Re: Ferries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, September 05, 2009