We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Salzbug to Croatia - Rental car recommendation

san jose, ca
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from Salzbug to Croatia - Rental car recommendation

Hi ,

I was wondering if there are issues with renting Car in Austria ...then travelling to Sloevnia and dropping it off in Croatia. I do know about the one way rental fee and I am OK with that.. Apart from that are there any other issues ?Wondering if it is very crowded when crossing countries ?

We are planning to rent a car in Austria (Salzburg) and travel to Croatia and drop it off in Pula, Croatia. We will travel around July 2 Monday or July 3 Tuesday. We chose weekday as I read there could be lots of traffic. Our plan is to Stop By lake Bled in Slovenia and then head to Croatia. Apart from the one way Car rental fee, could you please advice any other thing which we should keep in mind for driving by car to Croatia ? Could you please let us know Pros/Cons of driving vs taking a train ? The train journey seemed too long.

I am also any recommendation on car rental companies which will take care of insurance for driving in Slovenia and Croatia.

I appreciate your response.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Pula
Pula
Istria, Croatia
1 reply
Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
5,579 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Salzbug to Croatia - Rental car recommendation

Slovenia and nowadays also Croatia (dunno about Austria) are very strict about having with you the IDP - International Driving Permit, and you can pay a hefty fine in Slovenia if not having one beside your national licence.

https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

Renting a car in one country and dropping off in another brings hefty surcharges. Beside, if you will drive e.g. to Dubrovnik that means crossing Bosnian border twice (you are obliged to inform your car rental company - another surcharge), and same applies if you will use any car ferries

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Austria
Austria
Europe
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Reply to: Driving from Salzbug to Croatia - Rental car recommendation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted