We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation Planning

United States
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Vacation Planning

Hello,

I am looking for insight on a trip in November. We arrive early on a Sunday and will be flying out the following Saturday so we have the day we fly in, and a full five days. What is a reasonable trip idea - we like to see a lot when we travel. Is there a "central" location we can stay the entire time or will we need to stay in different cities? If there is a central location, what is it & do you think we should rent a car? We'd like to see:

Dubrovnik

Pula

Split &

Zadar

If there is not an easy way to see all those from a central location, I would love any advice on where you think we should stay and how many nights in each. Or other cities that you think would be better to visit. We will just be so happy to be there!

Thanks much,

Katherine

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Pula
Pula
Istria, Croatia
3 replies to this topic
S S
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation Planning

That is a very ambitious plan for 6 nights. I would pick 2 spots instead or it would be too rushed for you to see or enjoy anything.

You could do 3 nights Istria (Pula or Rovinj) 1 night Plitvice, 2 nights Zadar.

Or 3 nights Split, 3 nights Dubrovnik.

I highly recommend renting a car, especially for Istria.

Mentioned in this post
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Pula
Pula
Istria, Croatia
Rovinj
Rovinj
Istria, Croatia
Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
5,433 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation Planning

Look at the map to see how long that coast is. You can a) use the motorway, and see practically nothing, or b) use the Adriatic Coastal Road ("Magistrala") and see everything, but then you advance much slower. So adjust your plan accordingly...

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Adriatic
Hotel Adriatic
326 Reviews
Rovinj, Croatia
Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation Planning

In November, you are likely to face low temperatures, rain and wind. Also, a lot might be closed, from bars and hotels to tourist attractions.

As for the base, Dubrovnik, Split and Zadar are in the Dalmatia region which is stretched so a single base doesn't work (at least for all three). Pula, on the other hand, is the capital of the Istria region which is also a peninsula where no place is more than 60-90 minutes of driving from any other spot. However, with only five full days and so much driving to do having a base is really pointless as you will need to be moving almost all the time and simply spending a night at each of these cities and possibly one in between. But in November, I have no idea which place to recommend. If it were at least October, there's the truffle season in Istria. Btw, Pula isn't centrally located in Isitra (most southern citiy, actually) but may be the liveliest place in Istria in November. Split is pretty much centrally located in Dalmatia but I don't think it's close enough even to Zadar for daytrips. Besides, if you'll be going to both Pula and Split, you pretty much have to go through Zadar along the way so...

Perhaps if you can fly into Dubrovnik, see it a bit then fly to Pula, see that, visit Zadar and Split and fly from Split those five days might just do.

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Split
Split
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
Zadar
Zadar
Zadar County, Croatia
Dalmatia
Dalmatia