We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving and hotel recommendations in Plitvice and Zagreb

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
78 posts
192 reviews
Driving and hotel recommendations in Plitvice and Zagreb

Hi. We're visiting in late May. We will be renting a car in split and driving to Plitvice. We need a good hotel for Plitvice. Now here's where it gets tricky- we are driving up to Zagreb for 1 night and then flying out the next afternoon to Dubrovnic. We normally rely on public transportation and prefer to stay in the city center but know it will be difficult with a car. So do we drop the car early and stay in town and use public transportation or do we stay close to the airport and use the car to drive around? Any recommendations for hotels in Zagreb? We are in our 50s and need a good bed! Thanks for any help.

2 replies to this topic
S S
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Driving and hotel recommendations in Plitvice and Zagreb

For Plitvice I would look into Hotel Degenija. It is in a lovely setting, has a pool and the restaurant, cafe Plum is quite good. It is about 5-10 minute drive from entrance 1 (I recommend route C from entrance 1, takes about 4-5 hours....start early in the morning at opening). Apartments would be much better value so thats an option for you as well if you are not wanting to splurge. I like booking.com for finding accomodation.

I suggest a short stop to visit the little town of Rastoke on your way to Zagreb. We stayed at Hotel Jagerhorn and loved it but the parking was tricky to find and a good 5-10 minute walk from the Hotel. If you stay in the center you will run into this problem with most accommodation. Just be aware that when a hotel advertises includes "parking" it may mean in a lot a bit of a distance away. We didnt mind it ourselves and really enjoyed being in the middle of it all. Alternatively we have stayed at an airport Hotel but there is nothing to see or do around there.

Maybe a local can offer you better advice on where to stay with parking in the city center. Happy Planning!

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
78 posts
192 reviews
2. Re: Driving and hotel recommendations in Plitvice and Zagreb

Thank you so much!

Reply to: Driving and hotel recommendations in Plitvice and Zagreb
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted