We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to structure a Croatia trip?

Illinois
Level Contributor
253 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
How to structure a Croatia trip?

Considering Croatia for a family trip (of adults) in early June of 2018, and was thinking of flying into Split and out of Dubrovnik, with possibly one other town/locale in between. The length of time we can spend is relatively flexible, maybe up to 11 nights.

A second, different plan in my head regards Croatia's proximity to Venice. I have already been, but if there was a feasible way I could have my girls see it (22 and 21), that would be wonderful. In that case I would do only one or two locales in Croatia, and then Venice.

I'm just wondering if anyone on these boards might have done a multi-city itinerary in this region and could share how you did it, if you had enough time in each place, and what modes of transportation you used to get from point to point.

Thank you...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to structure a Croatia trip?

I have combined Venice with Croatia recently, but I had a lot more time than you did. I travelled from Venice to Dubrovnik, with stops in Trieste, Rijeka, Zadar and Split. Within Croatia I travelled by bus. This is scenic, but also slow and tiring.

In your case, if you were to go to Venice, then I would probably combine it with Istria. I did not go there due to time constraints, but it is close to Venice, and you can travel by boat. Venice to Split or Dubrovnik is a very long way.

Illinois
Level Contributor
253 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to structure a Croatia trip?

Thank you!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to structure a Croatia trip?

With up to 11 nights and 3 cities / locations, you have some options:

- Split - an island (Hvar, Brac, Korcula...) - Dubrovnik with some day-trips from Split and Dubrovnik

- Split - Dubrovnik - Montenegro - you can visit some of the islands on day-trips from Split (Hvar, Brac) or Dubrovnik (Korcula)

- Zagreb - Split - Dubrovnik - Zagreb is easier to fly into and you can stop at the Plitvice Lakes National Park on the way to Split

Venice is much easier to combine with Northern Croatia (Zagreb & Istrian Peninsula) and Slovenia than with the Dalmatian coast which is further south. There are ferries from Venice to several port town on the Istrian coast on certain days of the week or the drive from Venice to Istria or Slovenia is 3 - 4 hours (not counting traffic and border crossing time which can be significant in high season and on weekends).

Let me know the option(s) you like best and I will be happy to give further suggestions if needed...

Good luck!

4. Re: How to structure a Croatia trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, today