We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Dubrovnik to Zadar

1 post
Save Topic
Driving from Dubrovnik to Zadar

Hi,

I plan to drive from Dubrovnik to Zadar around 12th Sept and was a little confused about which road to take.. While Google maps shows two roads E65 and D8 a lot of forums mention the roads as E65 (formerly D8). So not sure which road they are talking about. On Google maps I see D8 running right along the coast while E65 seems like a highway but exactly near the coast. I have about 8 hours to complete the journey so was looking for suggestions on which is the ideal route and any interesting stops mid-way other than Split.

Best Seller
Five Island Speedboat Tour Featuring...
181 Reviews
from $130.10*
Likely To Sell Out
6 Islands and Caves Small-Group Tour...
163 Reviews
from $171.60*
Best Seller
Dubrovnik Sea Kayak Tour
380 Reviews
from $32.50*
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,365 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Dubrovnik to Zadar

I have no idea about the numbers.

Having said that, there are 2 routes you can take. There is only 1 way to Ploce. From there you can either take the new highway, which I believe is A1. Or you can take the coastal road (Magistrala). The coastal road is much slower but much more scenic.

If you take the highway, you will need to make a detour for a stop unless you just want to stop at 1 of the petrol stations.

You could detour to Omis. That is closest to half way.

S S
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Dubrovnik to Zadar

Taking the coast the entire length without stopping is going to be approx 9 hours. I would do part way on the coastal route to see some of the Makarska Riviera with a stop in Makarska. Its a gorgeous drive. Exit Magistrala before Baska Voda. We have done this in reverse and Im not 100% on the highway # but if you use viamichelin.com you can map it out (it appears to be 532) on the map near Basko Polje. Once on 532? look for signs A1 Zagreb/Split You pay a toll at A1 entrance and can follow that all the way to the Zadar exit.

Alternatively for a little longer (more coastal scenery) route, you could continue along Magistrala all the way to Omis then take the exit for A1 from there. According to Via Michelin it looks to be about 1/2 hour from Omis to A1 but looks really windy. I havent taken this road though so maybe someone else can advise which would be a better exit option for you.

Ston, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Ston, Slano, Peljesac Peninsula, Mostar, Herzegovina-Neretva Canton
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Dubrovnik to Zadar

I think 9 hours is too long an estimate, its more like six or seven without stops if you use the coastal road.

S S
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Dubrovnik to Zadar

That was according to Viamichelin. Thank you for the clarification RichardA! Then maybe the coast would be a good option all they way to Zadar for the OP. The A1 is great but the coast is such a gorgeous drive.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Zadar
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Dubrovnik to Zadar

Yes, the coastal road is the way to go. We haven't driven direct from Dubrovnik to Zadar but have taken the bus and it took 8 hours with stops. Richard is correct if you are driving it would probably take six or seven without stops.

A stop in Makarska would be nice.

6. Re: Driving from Dubrovnik to Zadar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, September 04, 2018