We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting City between Sofia and Sunny Beach

Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Topic
Interesting City between Sofia and Sunny Beach

Is there any interesting city located between Sofia and Sunny Beach to spend the day before heading to Sunny Beach. There must be a bus stop there to continue from...to Sunny Beach.

Found Plovdiv, is it worth the trip or Bankya will be a better option(near Sofia) then head from Sofia directly to Sunny Beach.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interesting City between Sofia and Sunny Beach

Plovdiv is the best option.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interesting City between Sofia and Sunny Beach

Seconded, Plovdiv is the biggest place in a straight line between Sofia and SB. There's a lovely old town there, if you like Nessebar and Sozopol. Nice park in the middle where you can climb all the way up and get a fantastic view over the whole area from underneath the gigantic statue of Filipopolopolopolopos (think I spelt that right, but not completely sure!).

Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Interesting City between Sofia and Sunny Beach

Most probable to add Plovdiv for 1 day and make a trip to Bankya in Sofia stay days.

Edited: 8:06 pm, June 27, 2015
Staffs
Destination Expert
for Bulgaria, Sunny Beach
Level Contributor
4,524 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interesting City between Sofia and Sunny Beach

I agree with the above comments. Plovdiv is well worth a visit. Have a day and stay over night if you have time.

Try www.hostelmostel.com for a great place to stay.

Best,

Paul

Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Interesting City between Sofia and Sunny Beach

Hi Paul,

Just booked a night in a Plovdiv city center hotel, the following day will go to sunny beach, any quick buses you recommend?

With this, I completed hotels/apartments reservation for Bulgaria trip, next will be Romania- to book in Bulgaria mid-trip.

Any better idea than wait for the middle of every trip in a country then book for hotels for the next country?? since you never know what might happen in your path like buses/trains delays or unknown timetable before hand, maybe extend my trip too in some countries if I will real like the city/ies.

Hotels, apartments/studios might get fulled or price might increase as the date nears, or not necessary, might get good last minute deals?

Edited: 8:30 am, June 28, 2015
Staffs
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,524 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interesting City between Sofia and Sunny Beach

The buses will run fairly often from Plovdiv to SB. Traveling to Bucharest from Sunny Beach I get the bus to Varna and travel from there to Ruse. Ruse to Bucharest takes about 1-5 hours by bus or 3 hours by train.

There is a bus from Varna to Ruse which leaves at 10-30am. Get up to Varna from SB and you will be fine to catch this. It gets to Ruse at 1-30pm and from memory you can get the train about an hour later. The bus station and train station are next door to each other so no worries there. I think there is direct bus from Sunny Beach to Bucharest but I have not traveled this route.

Hotels in Bucharest tend to be expensive. I always stay at the Hotel Sir Gara de Nord. It is right by the train station and costs about 20 euro a night. Basic but clean and central.

Best,

Paul

Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Interesting City between Sofia and Sunny Beach

My mind fully running faster than any machine out there, forgot to mention that am also visiting Varna.

Here is my trip to Bulgaria, 2 nights in Sofia- within making a day trip to bankya, 1 night in Plovdiv, 2 nights in Sunny Beach- a day trip to Sozopol and 1 night in Varna, from there taking the "Bus Varna" directly to Bucharest- 4 hours trip, it's the best option despite it runs from 7:00 AM early morning!! so under 24 hours stay in Varna.

Any other bus option from Varna directly to Bucharest but runs 10, 11 or 12 AM ?

Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Interesting City between Sofia and Sunny Beach

Oh, and about the "Hotel Sir Gara de Nord", checked it... seems a good option for 20 Euros but the single room comes with shared bathroom and no balcony-view, and for single occupancy- I don't want to imagine after partying and bringing a lady with me, the receptionist says: " She can't go up with you" :))

Any idea if the reception stays alive 24/24 hours ?? No Sleep:)

Staffs
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,524 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Interesting City between Sofia and Sunny Beach

Sozopol is def worth the visit. However don't miss out on Nessebar even if it's just a visit in the evening. The buses only take about 15 minutes from SB and cost 1.30 lev.

The hotel Gara de Nord has 24 hour reception so sneaking a lass in will be a no no. You would have to pay the extra. I think a room with your own loo costs another 5 euro so still cheaper than most places in Bucharest.

The only other option to the 7am bus is to get the 10.30 am from Varna to Ruse. From Ruse you would get a connection for the train which stops a minutes walk from the Hotel Gara de Nord.

Make sure you go to the 'down town' area in Bucharest. Great buzz and cheap too.

Best,

Paul

Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Interesting City between Sofia and Sunny Beach

Don't worry Paul. I never do the mistake of booking a single room(1Adult), also it has no balcony and view!!

My guests increase btw night and morning:)))

Better taking the one way Bus Varna to Bucharest than stopping at Ruse, changing Bus or Train that must be going to Bucharest at same or near time of my arrival at Ruse- It will also cost more!