We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Sofia

Which Sofia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Athens, Greece
5 posts
Save Topic
Parking in Sofia

Hello ,

I plan to travel in Sofia from Greece , with my own car . Then I plan to visit Varna , using the train.

Can Somebody inform me where can I park my car , near the central train station in Sofia , for 7 days , safely ?

Thanks'

Panos

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
781 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in Sofia

I can't specifically answer your question about where, but I think this is a bad idea. First Sofia has instituted zone parking, see here. sofiatraffic.bg/media/uploads/parking/parkin…

It looks to me like the parking zone extends to the edge of the train station. Even if you park outside the zone you need to be very careful where you park as there still could be local restrictions, and the signs will likely not be in english.

And then there is the fact that car theft is still a problem in Bulgaria. It is certainly not as bad as it used to be but take a look at the streets north of the train station. Do you really want to park your car, with foreign plates, there for a week?

Your other alternative is paid parking. In the center that is not going to be cheap.

Can I ask why you don't just drive to Varna?

Athens, Greece
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in Sofia

First thanks for the info ,

I don't want to drive to Varna because the return trip to Athens should be at the same day and it will be too tiring for me . Apart that im not gonna need a car in Varna and I am thinking that a train travel would be much more pleasant and interesting , seeing all the country side of the railroad , stopping at 15 villages and cities etc

Regarding the paid parking that you referred I would be interested . Can you tell me where I can find one close to the train station and what do u think it will cost me approximately ?

Panos

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
781 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in Sofia

Sorry, I can't help with specifics, maybe a Sofia resident can chime in. Blue zone parking is 2lv/hr, green is 1lv/hr, I assume that a parking lot would be equal or less than green zone but I do not know that for sure. I know in Pernik I pay 2 lv / day for secure parking but that is like quoting prices for a suburb of athens vs downtown athens - completely not comparable.

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in Sofia

You can't use the regular parking spots on the streets in the pay zones for more than 2 ot 4 hours. Your best option is to find some paid parking lot. After short googling I found for example this - parkingekzarhyosif35.free.bg/english.html . The location is OK - it's one stop of the Metro from the rail station. I have never used them, however, - and just spotted it on the Net.

Another option is to try contacting some hotels with paid parking - e.g Princess is very close to the rail station.

Sofia
Destination Expert
for Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
517 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking in Sofia

Hi!

Near the train and bus central station (they are close each other) there are a couple of paid parkings.

My advise is to check them when you arrive. I guess there are some price lists on the guard booth or just ask around and choose one.

Athens, Greece
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking in Sofia

Thank you very much . You have been most helpful . I checked this parking lot and seems to be quite alright.

On the other hand , from the day opening this thread , I had the chance to read a few reviews about the train travel in Bulgaria and I m starting to be concerned , especially since I will be travelling with my wife and 7 yo old daughter plus luggage .

Some people have reviewed badly about the trains in Bulgaria , saying things like " very old trains in bad condition , lots of theft , lots of gypsies around , no difference between paid classes etc )

According to the Bulgarian rail web page , I am planning to get the fast train in A class compartment . Any recent experiences that may help me decide ?

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking in Sofia

You are welcome :)

Of course, you may also do as Doodko suggests - wander around and check about other options. For sure you will be able to find parking.

About the train - unfortunately the reviewes are not far from the truth. I myself haven't travel by train recently. Of course, the decision is yours. I would take the car. The road is about 6 hours, and is not in bad condition. Having the car - you may stop wherever you want, take a rest at some nice place, you may choose more picturesque route etc. The days are long now (it is light up to 9pm), and you may use the car around Varna as well - there are some interesting places in the area, which are much easier to access by car.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
781 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking in Sofia

It has been a while since i have taken the train as well, as I have a car I can use when I am in BG. But I will say that the majority of Bulgarians that I know prefer the bus over the train when they go someplace. There is more coverage, it is usually faster with a few exceptions, and it is usually cleaner as well. I did quick google it looks like there are direct buses to Varna from Athens. which doesn't surprise me - the seaside is pretty popular.

Athens, Greece
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking in Sofia

Thank you all for your kind responses .

Finally I booked a parking with Irent company , next to the airport , which provides a fully guarded parking with 17,90 euros for the 7 days . I think its a good price . And they also will transfer us to the train station in about 15-20 minutes , as they say , with 10 euros fee.

My last question for those of you that know Sofia well. I will be arriving on Tuesday morning. Is it faster to get through the city center to my way for the airport or should I get to the perimeter road? . Its about 15 kms longer but im afraid of the traffic in the center and the timetable for the trains are strict .

Sofia, Bulgaria
Destination Expert
for Sofia
Level Contributor
301 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking in Sofia

You'd better choose the centre, because the north ring is not in a good condition (too many holes). The people from the company which will transfer you to the station should know the best ways which take the shortest time to your destination. There are several main routes through the city which you might pass through, but which one will be chosen depends on the time of day of your arrival. We've been having daily protests against our new government for the last 25 or so days and each day they start at 18:30. Some sections of one of the possible routes through the city are closed atnaround 19:00-19:30 and can remain closed until 21-21:30 - Orlov most (Eagle's bridge) in particular, so some other boulevards could be more busy between 19-19:30 when the last heavy traffic for the day may occur. So if you happen to travel through the centre, maybe you should expect that it would take a bit more than 15-20 minutes. But then again, I'm sure you'll manage in the timeframe.