We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sofia,general questions.

Which Sofia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
edinburgh east
Level Contributor
143 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
sofia,general questions.

First visit to sofia in november for 1 week.Is a week too long to stay.Do many people speak english and is it easy to find you way around the main sights.Is it an expensive city and is it safe to wander around at night.

Thankyou,

Susan.

Sofia
Destination Expert
for Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
515 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sofia,general questions.

Hi Susan! You may get bored if staying 7 days only in Sofia. 1-day-trips or with overnight could be a good option. But what places are you interested in?

Regarding safety - don't worry, Sofia is relatively quiet but safe place day and night. Only advice is to be aware of pickpocketing in crowded places and to stay away from the suburbs in the night.

It's not expensive for foreigners from Western Europe, I might say even it's quite cheap :) And yes - most people speak very well English and would be glad to help you.

I'm sure you will like our city!

Have a great time!

Level Contributor
66 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sofia,general questions.

Hi Susan! If you ask me November is not the best possible month for visiting Sofia, because it's late autumn, the weather is not so good and everything is so grey and dull... One week could be too long, just right or even short depending on what exactly you are interested in and willing to see.

If you follow the common sense rules you will not have any problems with safety especially in the central part of the city (avoid suburbs and parks in the night). As our fellow member has already said be extra careful in crowded areas and around tourist attractions where someone could try stealing your valuables.

As for the language - most of the younger people speak or try to speak English and most of them will be more than happy to show you the way to the main tourist sights.

Prices are not so cheap as they used to be (but you have to define what is expensive for you).

Let me know if you need some additional or more detailed information and I would be more than happy to provide it!

edinburgh east
Level Contributor
143 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sofia,general questions.

Thankyou both for your helpful replies and information,i am looking forward to my visit,it will be my 50th birthday when we are there so now i have to find a nice hotel and restaurant for my birthday meal,

Kind regards,

Susan.

Level Contributor
66 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sofia,general questions.

You are more than welcome, contact me if you think that I could be of some help with some hints regarding the hotel and the restaurant:)

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sofia,general questions.

this topic really good for learn about sofia. coudl you please give advise about hotels in sofia. not cheap not expensive. like 3 stars hotels. how much and which hotels do u recomended?

i think this will be useful for susan as well :)

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
54 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sofia,general questions.

As for Hotels just review all the postings on Tripadfvosor or Booking.

I'd suggest to avoid hotels near the railroad station as the neghboorhod is a bit dull despite being close to the city center.

I had vistors who stayed at Fest Bacelo hotel on Bulgaria Blvd and they seemed to like it a lot. Besides, it is 15 min tram ride from the center (tram ticket being €0.50). Kempinski is also a good choice, generally, but not right now too much if you don't plan someone picking you up wit ha car - the city is overhauling the major roads near the hotel and walking is possible although not too pleasant and picturesque. Trams and taxis are good means of transportation to and from that hotel.

There are plenty of small unlisted hotels and you can strike a very good deal, but you can end up with not too good a hotel either, so it is always better to research and ask.

Coimbatore, India
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: sofia,general questions.

i am saravanan from india and i am planning a trip to sofia in september or october this year and i will be so thankfull to you if u can give me some suggestions ,, i have many friends from facebook in sofia and ofcourse they will help me there ,, just wanted to know some details mate ,, do help me ,,

regards,

saravanan

RF2
Dimitrovgrad
Level Contributor
387 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sofia,general questions.

Suggestions for what? Be more specific - what are you looking for in Sofia - (types of) attractions, transportation, hotels, etc?

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
535 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: sofia,general questions.

What's up with the 'stay out of the suburbs at night' stuff? What happens there?

10. Re: sofia,general questions.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:28 pm, May 30, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Sofia