We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in Sofia - June

Which Sofia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bournemouth, UK
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go in Sofia - June

Hi,

Some friends and I are planning a weekend in Sofia in June. We are looking for things to do in the evening and would love to see some live music, have a good meal and then visit a few good bars and maybe a club.

What has Sofia to offer? What will i pay for a good meal? How much is a pint of beer? Is there somewhere you would reccomend?

Staying at a Best Western just outside town but i presume it is fairly easy to get a taxi into the centre.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,675 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in Sofia - June

I don't know about live music and bars. But you will get recommendations at the hotel. I can recommend a restaurant - Djuka on Solunska Str. Tipical Bulgarian food, and very good. Tel (3592)9813126, or 0888800964. They speak English.

I have eaten there several times, last time September 2005. Price for a meal for 2 came to 50 Leva without drinks. This about 25 Euro. It is not expensive in our trems but the food is great.

I have recommended this restaurant several times on this forum. If anyone goes there please post your report.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
365 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in Sofia - June

What kind of food? What flavour of beer? Tons of bars, restaurants, just depends on your mood and what you're looking for.

I'm assuming you're staying at the Expo best western and not the City Hotel? I would make a big recommendation and find a hotel in the center of the city. You may end up paying a few more quid but makes everything so much easier.

http://programata.bg/index.php?ln=2

Is a good guide for restaurants/music/clubs

Not knowing your preferences here are some suggestions:

Drinks:

Flanaggans - good for a mid afternoon feed and drink on the patio and people watching

JJ Murphy's - best irish pub in town, usually a lively crowd

Tequila Bar - Small club that's been packed solid each time I've been there

Sin City - Sort of a Uber club, claim six clubs in one.

"Local" beer can usually be had for 1-3leva for a 500ml bottle, (Kamenitza, Zagorka, Tuborg, etc.)

A pint of Guinness in one of the pubs runs from 6-8 leva

Food:

Indian - Taj Mahal. Can never go wrong there.

Western - Flannagans

International - Mozzarella Bar, (yes it's called a bar but quite a nice restaurant)

Lebanese - Finikia, need reservations, but a great place.

I would say 50 lev would be a good estimate for a "good" meal with drinks.

ANything else, don't hesitate to ask.

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,675 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in Sofia - June

The list of pubs and clubs is impressive.I'll keep it too for a future trip. But don't you think that someone visiting your country would like Bulgarian food? A restaurant like Kishtata or Djuha? Indian and Italian food one can get all over the world. Also in your beer list I miss Shumensko Pivo. Another thing would be nice - a list of wines. Bulgarian wines, with names and good years. It is a pity that there are not more Bulgarian citizens in the forum. To show more the culture, history, nature - forests and mountains with beautiful hikes, suggest places for visits not only staying in the sun at Sunny Beach.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
365 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go in Sofia - June

Maybe OP would like to go for Bulgarian, maybe not......I have no idea, and mentioned that :-)

I have plenty of suggestions for trips that aren't Sunny Beach if you want......but they don't fit for a boys weekend in Sofia. I can suggest some for you if you want ;-)

Didn't include Shumensko, Ariana, or the other new one (can't remember the name!), because I wouldn't recommend them as liquids that can be consumed.

As for wines, I can get you a list if you want. Again, didn't think it was the point of the post. Maybe a list of Rakiya would be more appropriate?? :-P

Cheers!

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,675 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go in Sofia - June

Yea, Rakiya with some mezeta to go with it...I'll ask your advice next time I come for a visit. Last one was in Septemper 2004 for 20 days. Its about time to come again.

Sofia
Level Contributor
99 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go in Sofia - June

My favourite restaurants offering Bulgarian food in Sofia are called "Tabiet". Everything there is fine - from the quality of food to the service and comfort. Besides that, the prices are considerably lower than in the mentioned places above. Of course, nothing can be perfect - you have almost no chance to take a seat after 7:00p.m. if you had not reserved on the phone before that.

New York City
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go in Sofia - June

Hi John,

I am near Sofia right now and my friend are recomming the following places:

Brilantin - greece

Biblioteca - piano bar with life music

Restaurants:

Dreamhouse : veggetarian

Pizza Ugo: slow service, but great salads and pizza.

I went to Pizza Ugo it was nice and cozy.

Don't forget to try the best wine is Bulgaria called Malvrud. I have been driking that every night :-) it reminds me of Rioja from Spain.

Cheers

Stephan

8. Re: Where to go in Sofia - June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:29 am, August 30, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sofia