We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer advice

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
First timer advice

Hi folks, looking for a change of scenery and fancy Bulgaria instead of Spain for our next holiday.

Few q's if you don't mind!

Going middle/ end of May, will the weather be warm and sunny?

We like busy resorts, with lots of bars and restaurants, but not mad busy.

We like nice hotels, usually go for 4 star, with a gym, spa etc - any recommendations.?

Even though we usually go half board we like to eat out as well so nice restaurants are a must.

Thanks so much for any advice, as I'm not sure where to start!

Staffs
Destination Expert
for Bulgaria, Sunny Beach
Level Contributor
4,523 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer advice

Hello Mollymaid. Are you maid to perfection heh heh. Get it ?

OK leaving the crap jokes aside.

The weather should be OK but expect maybe a few rainy days. Don't let it put you off though. I go mid May and find it OK. At that time of year Sunny Beach could be a good choice as it is not to busy then -- places will be open though. The Majestic Hotel might be a good place to stay for you.

As for places to eat -- SB has loads of very cheap restaurants -- you will be spoiled for choice.

Golden Sands might be another report to consider. However judging by your post SB should tick all the boxes at that time of year. Do bare in mind that during those dates it will be fairly quiet.

Best,

Paul

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer advice

Thanks for your speedy response Paul, and yep you got me - I'm fussy and a bit of a perfectionist!! Just been looking at Sunny Beach and the Helena Sands hotel, will look at Majestic too.

Staffs
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,523 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer advice

OK Molly. The Helena is a decent hotel -- worth booking. My apartment is close to there and I really like that part of SB.

If you have anymore questions about SB use the Sunny Beach forum rather than this one. More people use it and you will get a better response.

Best,

Paul

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
2,840 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer advice

sunny beach is more like spain golden sands is ( cant say bulgarian ) but more bulgarian than sunny beach still lots going on but smaller than sunny beach

the star system is not the same as spain a 4 star in bulgaria will be more like a 2 or 3 star in spain

i only ever go B&B eating out is cheap beer is better out and unless you know for sure that the hotel dose good food dont do all in

i mostly go to golden sands i find sunny beach to english for me

but i find bulgaria a realy good place cheap and laid back

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
145 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer advice

May is not a good month for sunbathing because it is not that warm yet! Most of the Bulgarian resorts will not be that busy at that time. The earliest start of season is beginning of June if the weather is right.

Staffs
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,523 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer advice

''Going middle/ end of May, will the weather be warm and sunny?''

You pay your money and you take your chance. I go in at the end of May and it is fine. Last year not so good but this is the life. it's certainly better than England IMO.

Best,

Paul

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer advice

Thanks all for your help and advice, much appreciated. Not made a decision as yet - lots to look at and consider! X

8. Re: First timer advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 27, 2017