We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living in Bulgaria post Brexit?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Living in Bulgaria post Brexit?

Hi guys

I realise this question is probably speculative at this stage, but does anyone know anything about the chances of UK nationals being able to move to Bulgaria to live?

We're thinking of doing this just before Brefix comes in next year, but obviously we can't consider this if we'll then have to leave again.

Any information anyone can provide is appreciated! :)

3 replies to this topic
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
61 reviews
1. Re: Living in Bulgaria post Brexit?

all I can say is I worked in Bulgaria before Bulgaria joined the EU and there were British living in Bulgaria then so I don't see why that should change be more paper work I expect

Province of...
Level Contributor
949 posts
66 reviews
2. Re: Living in Bulgaria post Brexit?

If you move before the exit and get your residencia there the Vienna Convention should protect your right to stay there.

After the exit you will not be able to buy land but you will be able to buy an apartment.

You can get around the problem of buying land by forming a company, as it was up to a few years ago.

The biggest problem may be health care. You will probably need to pay into the private health system there.

pensioners may also have a problem with pensions. You may also need a visa.

Ask those expats living in Turkey about the problems with health insurance and it may give you an idea of what may happen in Bulgaria also..

Bulgaria has already said that it will allow Brits to take up residence there post exit.

Province of...
Level Contributor
949 posts
66 reviews
3. Re: Living in Bulgaria post Brexit?

from NHS.UK

If you are living in an EEA country or Switzerland and you receive an exportable UK pension, contribution-based Employment Support Allowance or another exportable benefit, you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK. You will need to apply for a certificate of entitlement known as an S1 form.

However, if, in addition to your UK pension, you also receive a pension from the country in which you now live, that country will be responsible for your healthcare and an S1 will not be applicable. If you receive your UK pension as well as a pension from an EU member state, but are now living in a different EU state, the country to which you paid contributions toward your pension for the longest period becomes responsible for your healthcare.

For exportable UK pensions and contribution-based Employment Support Allowance, you can apply for your form via the Overseas Healthcare Team in the Department for Work and Pensions on 0191 218 1999.

You may need to liaise with a different team, depending on the exportable benefit. GOV.UK has more information on Claiming benefits if you live, move or travel abroad. You may also wish to speak to the Exportability Team. Please note that different exportable benefits can have different rules in terms of healthcare cover.

Once issued, register the S1 form with the relevant authority in your country of residence. Often you need to do this before you can register for healthcare or obtain a medical card.

Once you have registered your S1 in the country you are moving to, you will be entitled to apply for and use a UK-issued EHIC to access state-funded necessary medical treatment when you visit other EEA countries.

You cannot apply online for a UK-issued EHIC. Instead, you'll need to request an EHIC-E application form with the Overseas Healthcare Team. Simply call 0191 218 1999 from the UK or 0044 (0)191 218 1999 from abroad, (Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm).

Reply to: Living in Bulgaria post Brexit?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted