We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from East Sarajevo to Sarajevo Old town.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from East Sarajevo to Sarajevo Old town.

I hope to travel to Sarajevo from Belgrade by bus and it seems most buses from Belgrade terminate in East Sarajevo. Can someone please tell me how to get from East Sarajevo to the Old Town (by bus preferably) , how much it costs , and would I pay for the journey in Serbian dinars or Bosnian Marks. Also can I buy Bosnian marks when I arrive in East Sarajevo (ie is there an ATM there and if so does it dispense Bosnian Marks) ?

Thank you.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from East Sarajevo to Sarajevo Old town.

I have not used that bus station before but have taken transit to/from the airport. It'll take a little walking to find an ATM and a bus stop, but it's doable. You'll definitely want Bosnian marks. It's possible a kiosk will accept euros instead (definitely not dinars) for a trolleybus ticket, but they easily may not.

So if you want to get to city center via transit, consult this map: openstreetmap.org/#map=17/43.82494/18.35408

The bigger bus icon toward the right is East Sarajevo bus station. The trolleybus stops are the smaller bus icons on the other side of the entity border. It's about a 10 minute walk from the bus station. You can scroll around to see the $ icons for ATMs - no guarantee the map is up to date but it's as good an indication as any. If you're arrive late at night or early in the morning, it may be more difficult to find one open.

Trolleybus 103 will take you to just across the river from the Old Town. Tickets at 1.6KM, or 1.8K bought on board. Don't forget to punch your ticket when boarding to validate it.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from East Sarajevo to Sarajevo Old town.

Thanks for that oed. Much appreciated.

Vildbjerg, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from East Sarajevo to Sarajevo Old town.

Go by bus No. 37 to Ilidža and change to tram No. 3 to Baščaršija (the old city).

List of lines and numbers: inyourpocket.com/bosnia-herzegovina/Sarajevo…

Public transport: http://www.sonar.ba/content.php?lang=en&id=7

Edited: 6:15 pm, November 08, 2013
Vildbjerg, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from East Sarajevo to Sarajevo Old town.

Important: Remember to buy tram ticket in a kiosk.

Vildbjerg, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from East Sarajevo to Sarajevo Old town.

ATM Locator: http://www.visa.com/atmlocator/index.jsp#

Edited: 6:38 pm, November 08, 2013
Vildbjerg, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from East Sarajevo to Sarajevo Old town.

Important: Arriving by bus inyourpocket.com/bosnia-herzegovina/Sarajevo…

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from East Sarajevo to Sarajevo Old town.

Cao peadarog :-)

We can offer you a single ride with a fully air con WV T5 van for 15€ from East Sarajevo or the airport to your hotel anywhere in Sarajevo. Max 8 persons. Contact us on sarajevowalks@gmail.com

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
325 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from East Sarajevo to Sarajevo Old town.

@peadarog

From Belgrade to Sarajevo main bus station, there is only one bus daily and from Belgrade to East Sarajevo bus station there are usually four buses daily. If I remember well, there is an exchange office at the bus station in East Sarajevo.

Easiest is to walk some 8-10 minutes to the bus and trolleybus terminal. From there you can take either bus number 31E, Dobrinja-Vijecnica or another bus company (Centrotrans) offers same bus line, on bus will be written Dobrinja-Vijecnica.

You buy the ticket from the driver in both cases, costs 1,6 Marks (0,8 Euros), you can exit at last stop which is at the City Hall/National Library.

You can't use Serbian Dinars, only Bosnian Marks.

Edited: 9:36 am, November 19, 2013
Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from East Sarajevo to Sarajevo Old town.

Hello, peadorog!

I've just seen your question. If it's not late for you, I recommend:

The most comfortable ( especially with luggage ) is to take taxi from bus station in East Sarajevo , it costs 12- 14 Bosnian marks ( 6-7 €). Taxi drivers near bus station in East Sarajevo mostly take euros and than you can change money in the Old Town, in exchange offices, post offices or in the banks. In the case taxi driver will not want euros, there are some banks near the bus station and you can change money.

BTW, you can change money in the exchange office at Belgrade bus station.

Good luck!

10. Re: Getting from East Sarajevo to Sarajevo Old town.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 pm, December 08, 2013