We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transportation to/from Sarajevo Airport (report)

Level Contributor
4,034 posts
Save Topic
Public Transportation to/from Sarajevo Airport (report)

I see a number of questions on this forum about public transportation to/from the airport in Sarajevo. On my last trip I tried it to and from and wanted to report back.

First of all, I used these instructions for the Trolley bus: http://www.visitsarajevo.biz/travel/airport/. Essentially, you have to walk in through the neighborhood of Novo Sarajevo and catch a trolley bus into the center. The good news is that the instructions work, are easy enough to follow, and it's very cheap: 1.6KM, which will be much less expensive than a taxi. You just buy a trolleybus ticket from the kiosk at the bus stop - it helps to have change. Of course, be sure to punch your ticket when you board to validate it. (The punch is not electronically stamped like the tram tickets.)

The bad news is that this route is a hassle and takes a long time: it's a decent 20 minute walk at least to the bus stop, at times without sidewalks and along heavy traffic, not something I'd recommend with much luggage or in the midday heat. All told, it took me about an hour to get from the airport into town.

There is a quicker route than the one described above, which you can find via a good map like OpenStreet; this cuts more directly through the neighborhood. However, the roads are not direct and it's difficult to describe in words if you don't know where you're going.

In short, I think most tourists, particularly first-time visitors, are better off just paying more for a taxi or (better yet) arranging a shuttle through their hotel. But if you are committed to public transport, it is doable.

BH Spirit City Tours and Excursions
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours
Bestination Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
Explore Sarajevo
Sightseeing Tours
Vadnais Heights...
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transportation to/from Sarajevo Airport (report)

A plus for the taxi is that you may be able to get some help and suggestions from a driver to use later, plus you get where you want to go faster and then enjoy things. When you look at the cost of getting to a foreign country, is sems like a good investment to enjoy everything later on.

Level Contributor
4,034 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transportation to/from Sarajevo Airport (report)

Good point, though in Sarajevo I'm not sure how likely it is your taxi driver will have a good command of English.

Like you, I do think it's good to keep costs in perspective.

3. Re: Public Transportation to/from Sarajevo Airport (report)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 14, 2014