We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tickets for train Sarajevo-Ploce?

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Tickets for train Sarajevo-Ploce?

Hi!

At the end of July we plan to take the early morning train from Sarajevo to Ploce/Croatia and then continue by bus to Dubrovnik. (according to bahn.de and the bosnia railway homepage the train runs every morning, i hope it does :)

My questions are:

- How and where do you buy tickets for this train? (my guess is the train station in Sarajevo but i want to be certain :)

- Do you need to book/reserve seats ahead or can you just buy tickets on the day before or on the morning of departure?

- Can you buy water/snacks onboard or should we bring our own?

- Is the train usually on time or not?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
325 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tickets for train Sarajevo-Ploce?

I called now the train station just to double check, is a daily train leaving from Sarajevo at 06:50h, arrives in Ploce at 10:58h. One way ticket costs 23,8 Marks (105.9 Swedish Kronas)

You buy the tickets at the train station, you buy it from the ticket counter at the train station.

Is not possible to reserve seats.

You can buy drinks but no snacks.

As far if it is on time or not, it depends but if I were you I would add 30-45 minutes extra just to be on safe side.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tickets for train Sarajevo-Ploce?

Buy tickets at the station. There is a counter to the right when you enter the station. There are no reserved seats, and no cafe car. Bring snacks and water with you.

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tickets for train Sarajevo-Ploce?

Thankyou for your answers!

W-S-M, UK
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tickets for train Sarajevo-Ploce?

The advice above is perfect, I would just like to add that it is an amazingly beautiful journey, cutting through the mountains and travelling alongside the River Neretva for many parts. Ploce is not so beautiful, but the station is like stepping back in time to the communist era. When I last travelled by this train there was occasionally someone selling Turkish coffee and perhaps juice (moving through the train) - you can ask at the ticket counter: "Da li ima kafa u vozu?" I would also recommend stopping off in Mostar, Bosnia and spending a night there. It would be a shame to miss such an historic place with such wonderful vistas in the Old Town.

Enjoy your journey!

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tickets for train Sarajevo-Ploce?

I have an additional question and thank you again for your great answers:

If understand your information correctly:

1) There is "only" one type of standard ticket i can buy (that means there is no seat reservation possible and there is no first class/comfort class ticket)

2) I can buy the tickets the day before departure at Sarajevo Train Station.

Have i understood it correctly?

We are really looking forward to visiting Sarajevo and taking the train through the mountains. (We have already visited beaitiful Mostar last year)

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
325 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tickets for train Sarajevo-Ploce?

Yes, there is only one type of standard ticket, there is no seat reservation and neither first class.

Yes, you can buy the tickets day before your departure. Train station is next to the bus station (in case you will be arriving by bus, you can buy them the same day/evening when you arrive).

In front of train station there is tram number 1 that goes to the Old Town. If you buy the ticket at kiosk costs 1,6 Marks, if you buy it from the driver will cost you 1,8 Marks. You need to validate the ticket when you enter the tram.

In case you decide to take a taxi just watch out they don't rip you off as most of taxi drivers from bus/train station tend to do this. Maximum should be 10 Marks to the Old Town.

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tickets for train Sarajevo-Ploce?

We are also thinking of doing this trip but the other way round (Ploce to Sarajevo) and return later in the day - according to Croatian railway / DB websites there is only one train rom Ploce to Sarajevo at 5pm - is this correct?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tickets for train Sarajevo-Ploce?

Yes, 5:06pm. You can also consult times directly with Bosnian rail's site: http://www.zfbh.ba/zfbhenx/konekcija_en.php

Boston...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Tickets for train Sarajevo-Ploce?

We are taking train Ploce-Sarajevo in August. As I imagine it will be getting dark around the time we are passing Konjic, does anyone know whether we will be missing the best scenery or is there still good scenery between Ploce-Mostar-Konjic? Thanks.

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
325 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tickets for train Sarajevo-Ploce?

The best scenery is from Mostar to Sarajevo so you will still get a nice part from Mostar to Konjic.