We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Sarajevo

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Sarajevo

Hi There

As there is only one bus from Belgrade to Sarajevo everyday, I will arrive Sarajevo at night (10:45pm) and I plan to live in the old town (close to Latin Bridge). I heard from other, Sarajevo is not safe at night, and even people live in Sarajevo does not go out at night. Is it true?

Besides, is there any quick way to go to old town from bus station at around 11pm?

Many thanks.

Colin

Mentioned in this post
Latin Bridge
Latin Bridge
403 Reviews
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Level Contributor
302 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Safety in Sarajevo

sofka k,

could you,please,tell me what did happen to you

when visiting Sarajevo?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Safety in Sarajevo

Kat I, the fine is no more a scam than the 20 quid fine I had to pay once on the London Underground when I lost my ticket. Those officials weren't sympathetic that I'd innocently misplaced it.

Sarajevo's validation system is similar to many other European cities', like Prague or Budapest. And while it's tough for a tourist to always know the rules or the way things work, I lose sympathy when someone jumps to the conclusion that a whole system is a scam or a whole place is dishonest. Sarajevo's public transport and its rules are really set up for locals, not to fleece tourists.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
3 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Safety in Sarajevo

Sofka k: If you have actually been to Sarajevo, I will eat my hat. Except in your weird world you would probably believe that the hat would be poisoned and you would have me sectioned.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Safety in Sarajevo

You've got to be kidding!

Sarajevo is one of the safest cities in Europe.

The stray dogs here are minimal... not even close to the numbers in Bucharest.

Sarajevo is very safe and a piece of cake compared to large U.S. cities and especially big South American cities where the danger is very real.

Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Safety in Sarajevo

I stayed in Sarajevo for 5 days about a week ago and didn't have any personal safety issues. Use a bit of common sense, as you would travelling anywhere. You'll only get trouble if you go looking for it.

As for the "tram scam" nonsense, ticket validation on Sarajevo trams and trolleybuses is the same process that most countries in Europe use.

Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Safety in Sarajevo

I am from Sarajevo but live in London for many years

I am shocked by comments/experiences of most travelers here.

Firstly I suggest you take taxi into town they have to turn the meter on and I guess if you are arriving to buš terminal in east/Serbian Sarajevo it should not cost you more than €20 or double that in local currency 40bam taxi drivers around the world are the worst in airports buš/train stations even I got tricked last time I visited in my own city but once in town it will not happen trust me.

People are very nice and friendly and majority of the population does speak English or other language especially people up to their 40's or younger!

In central/old town it's not dangerous unless you provoke people they will not harm you

Only thing I suggest is beware of pickpockets!

Dont get into drunken discussions about politics or war as most of the people endured war, lost families or possibly got mental issues if they werein the army during the war.

Just use common sense and you will have brilliant time do try mince meat grilled kebabs in the old town they are tasty and ignore what others posted as it's not true

My advice use taxi it's cheapest in the world apart from what I said before avoid public transport it's safe but dated and you will probably get pickpocketed!

Enjoy!!

17. Re: Safety in Sarajevo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, October 13, 2013
London, England...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Safety in Sarajevo

Hello,

I have *never* posted on a TripAdvsor forum before but felt compelled to having read some of these comments. I am currently in Sarajevo and have been here for two weeks. I'm Scottish, female, 33, speak no Bosnian and appear to be quite noticeably foreign. I have rented an apartment about ten minutes from the old town but which seems to have only Sarajevans living in the area.

I have walked all over the city, including at night alone and have encountered nothing but kindness and hospitality. No one has ever tried to short-change me (after the first week I stopped even looking at my change), I don't get the sense that I'm about to be stolen from (and I have lived in far more dangerous cities so know when it is a possibility!), and have never felt in any way threatened.

Sarajevo is an extraordinary city and for people not to visit because of fear-mongering would be such a crime - especially as it is so humbling to see how far it has come since the war.

In short...even for a very obviously foreign woman travelling alone it is perfectly safe! Enjoy the wonderful view, sights, food and gracious people.

London, England...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Safety in Sarajevo

P.s. I frequently ride trams and have never even had someone brush by me suspiciously - so, nope, no pick-pocketing so far!

Zalakaros, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Safety in Sarajevo

I also lead tour groups and Sarajevo is now an integral part of our Adriatic area tour. Sarajevo has a feel and spiri thats hard to describe in words, and probably have felt the "safest" there than any of the other cities we visit, and all are very safe. I also choose to live out the tour season March to Novemebr in one of the cities we visit, and Sarajevo is next for 2015!!!