We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sarajevo to Split

Level Contributor
313 posts
48 reviews
Sarajevo to Split

hello friends. sorry if the question was asked already. if i am travelling from Sarajevo to Split by bus, should I buy ticket in advance? or can i just come to the bus station and buy it there? how much time does the ride take? and how long do people usually wait on the border?

thanks in advance

10 replies to this topic
Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,461 posts
155 reviews
1. Re: Sarajevo to Split

We went from Split to Sarajevo last week, by bus. August is vacation season so we bought tickets on line about a week ahead. I’m glad we did since almost all the seats were full. It was an eight hour trip for us, with the border stops and lunch time for the driver too. At the border, you stay on the bus while the authorities collect the passports, check them and then return them.

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
8,274 posts
517 reviews
2. Re: Sarajevo to Split

This information is not entirela correct.

1) There are two chief operators - Centrotrans/Eurolines, which uses the Sarajevo-Mostar-Metkovic-Makarska-Split route, takes longer and is more expensive, and Globtour, Sarajevo-Vitez-Travnik-Bugojno-Kupres-Livno-Split, which is faster and cheaper. http://www.centrotrans.com/international lists 3 daily buses, taking 7 1/2 to 8 hrs. I always use Globtour, they have two buses a day, taking 6 - 7 1/2 hrs (https://globtour.getbybus.com/en/).

You can buy tickets online, for Centrotrans at Sarajevo's bus station, for Globtour in their office in Sarajevo's railway station which is located immediately next to the bus station.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

Most times I bought a ticket just day before, or in the bus.

2) At the Kamensko BC which Globtour uses, the passengers have to leave the bus on the Croatian side and their passports or ID cards are inspected in the office

Level Contributor
313 posts
48 reviews
3. Re: Sarajevo to Split

thank you very much, very appreciated. so buying ticket a couple of days ahesd should not be a problem, right?

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,274 posts
517 reviews
4. Re: Sarajevo to Split

Not a problem - and you can buy it online too. Both Centrotrans and Globtour site make it possible.

Level Contributor
313 posts
48 reviews
5. Re: Sarajevo to Split

THanks a lot!

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,274 posts
517 reviews
6. Re: Sarajevo to Split

Welcome, enjoy your journey

Level Contributor
313 posts
48 reviews
7. Re: Sarajevo to Split

Do you know if the buses to Split from Sarajevo go from East Sarajevo station or from cental one? Many thanks!

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,274 posts
517 reviews
8. Re: Sarajevo to Split

Always from the central one, both the Centrotrans/Eurolines/Flixbus and Globtour ones

Level Contributor
313 posts
48 reviews
9. Re: Sarajevo to Split

Thank you!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
26 posts
81 reviews
10. Re: Sarajevo to Split

In early September I took the Globtour bus from Split to Sarajevo. It departed 1430 from Split and was due to arrive in Sarajevo at 2015 but ended up being about 2115. This included minimal delay at the border crossing - there was no queue and the bus was only half to 2/3 full, but still took about 15mins to leave Croatia and 15mins to enter Bosnia. We reached the Kamensko border crossing at 1600.

The bus itself was reasonably comfortable and not too hot or cold. There was no wifi. There appeared to be a toilet under the midway bus stairs, but I didn't see it get used at all. There were 2 stops of about 10-15mins each - 1700 at Livno (a bus station with toilet and a small bakery), and 1820 just before Bugojno (a petrol station where people stand around and smoke!, with a toilet and a small service shop to buy food and drinks).

The bus was not full, but I'm glad I bought a ticket in advance (from busticket4.me - no problems buying or using it) because my ferry was late and so rather than queue for a ticket, I could get straight onto the bus with less than 10mins to leave. They also charge you €1 per bag to put under the bus (or have exact change in HRK because they took 10 HRK instead, which is a rip off).

Reply to: Sarajevo to Split
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted