We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dubrovnik to mostar to sarajevo

United States
Level Contributor
365 posts
89 reviews
dubrovnik to mostar to sarajevo

hello! i will be in europe for 3 weeks for work in the fall.

at the end, i want to take about a week vacation to travel from Dubrovnik to Mostar to Sarajevo

because of work i will have 2 large suitcases, which i can usually handle on trains/subways/etc., but i would like to know if this will be difficult to manage with the public transport specifically available between these cities.

from what i've read, Dubrovnik to Mostar requires a bus, and then Mostar to Sarajevo may be done by train, but possibly older trains with not much space?

should i choose different cities to visit with my luggage situation, or will i be okay making these trips?

thanks!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
1. Re: dubrovnik to mostar to sarajevo

Well handling that much luggage on your own (presuming you're not traveling with someone else) is pretty tough, but I don't think going via public transport will be any tougher on that route than anywhere else. On buses, you can store your luggage beneath - in fact that's generally expected beyond the smallest bags. There's generally a charge of about 1€ equivalent, per bag I would expect. If anything, the older train Mostar to Sarajevo is probably more spacious than newer fast trains elsewhere, but I don't think there's a separate luggage area. If you're able to store them overhead, I seem to remember the overhead being a little more spacious than Amtrak if that helps.

Vadnais Heights...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2. Re: dubrovnik to mostar to sarajevo

To get the most out your trip and time, pare your luggage down to one bag since sensible packing and use of local facilities make everything easier, especially with buses, cabs and hotels. It is not difficult relieves you of the fear and apprehension of travel. I have traveled in over 30 countries with a small roller carry--on, mainly because I can find everything easier and get out the dreaded customs and airports.

I spent about a week in and around Bosnia and saved many hours of packing and handing the mess. It allows you to enjoy what you are doing. - You get more of your valuable time and see more.

Dick

United States
Level Contributor
365 posts
89 reviews
3. Re: dubrovnik to mostar to sarajevo

it's not personal luggage, it's equipment that i have to carry as i am in europe for work. of the 2 large bags i carry, about 25% of it is my clothing, etc. :) so i am used to carrying it and unfortunately can't unload any of it. just wondered if the buses & trains on this route were particularly inhospitable to baggage. thanks!

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
325 posts
4. Re: dubrovnik to mostar to sarajevo

As far I know, they don't mind if you have extra luggage, you pay between 1,5-2,2 US Dollars per luggage usually.

United States
Level Contributor
365 posts
89 reviews
5. Re: dubrovnik to mostar to sarajevo

thank you!

6. Re: dubrovnik to mostar to sarajevo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, June 08, 2015