We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Bosnia

New Jersey Shore
5 posts
Driving in Bosnia

A friend and I are going to Croatia in May. We are thinking of driving from Dubrovnik back to Zagreb through Bosnia. Are there any problems with this? Is it safe? Are the roads good? Any recommendations on the best route to take? Could we do this in 3 days?

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
919 posts
1. Re: Driving in Bosnia

Please see @Tvrrko's and @Julia's Travel reports:

tripadvisor.com/…26613722

fodors.com/community/…last-comment

@julia-t = @greenfrogfrolics

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Driving in Bosnia

Here is driving expert for Bosnia! I destroyed couple of vehicles driving in Bosnia on the roads where "God said good night" (God forsaken areas) and on good roads.

There are few options you need to consider - you need "green card" insurance through Bosnia and International driver's license. Your lights should be all the time on and you should drive on the speed limit even everyone else drives 2 times faster. Don't even think to race with locals. You will die. I am serious. Avoid road rage with anyone. act like 70 year old grandpa and you will be back in one piece, certified sure.

If you want just to "taste Bosnia" you can drive like: Dubrovnik-Metkovic-Mostar-Sarajevo-Zenica-Doboj-Bosanski Brod - highway to Zagreb.

If you want lifetime memories, I recommend:

Dubrovnik-Metkovic-Mostar-Sarajevo-Travnik-Jajce-Bosanski Petrovac-Bihac-Plitvice-Karlovac-Zagreb

Now, depend what you want to see and feel.

First option: Couple of hours in Mostar, sleep in Sarajevo or somewhere close by and drive direct from Sarajevo to Zagreb (2 days) - quick trip.

Second option: stop in Mostar, night in Sarajevo, stop in Travnik in the morning for couple of hours and drive to Jajce, sleep there and next day drive to Plitvice, spend there as much as you want (maybe night) and than go to Zagreb. 3 days - lot of things to see eat, taste, check, enjoy, trillion good photos, lot of natural wonders and great time overall.

If you need more help, let me know what are you interested in the most: history? nature? Food? Photo opportunities? I can help every step of the way and pinpoint intresting things on the way.

As about sleeping in Sarajevo, get in touch with "Pipi". He can help. If I have to sleep in Sarajevo, I would probably choose something around Ilidza (suburb of Sarajevo, where Franz Ferdinad slept his last night before WWI opened with his death - how cool is that?)

(And I would enjoy my morning coffee at the spring of Bosnia river. But, that's just me.)

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
919 posts
3. Re: Driving in Bosnia

@Tvrtko1995,

Explain which kind of the coffee we in Bosnia use to drink?

Is there any ceremony during drinking bosnian/turkish coffee?

What does it mean ''to apeal somebody to have a cup of the coffee together''?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Driving in Bosnia

Ha, ha... We are switching now from driving to coffee. Last time when I was in Travnik, I had a "real" coffee in the restaurant at Blue Water!

Coffee time in Bosnia is social event. Even if you drink it all alone. You drink coffee with yourself, your inner yourself and you take break of daily life, you energize yourself and prepare for next steps in life.

If you drink coffee with someone, than you exchange your common feelings, you share your inner "me" with someone you know or respect. It has important spiritual meaning. It takes time to "drink coffee". I found minimum time to "get coffee" to be between 1/2 and 3/4 of hour. I got to have that time at least 2 times per day. Coffee in Bosnia is medium that flows energy out and into the body. It energizes mind and spirit, it calms down busy reality into the flow of dark liquid. I am sure there is medical and scientific explanation for this phenomenon.

It is real ritual how people in Bosnia drink coffee. Now, I am not going into preparation formula. I will start from the moment when coffee is served. It is served in small copper pot called "dzezva" (pronunciation as "jazz-wa"). We drink coffee from small ceramic cups called "fildzan" (as "fill-jan"). We never rush to sip coffee in filjan. It is Turkish coffee, and it has to cool off a bit. Also small coffee particles needs to get at the bottom of dzezva before we sip it in fildzan.

Traditionally you need to drink coffee with sugar cubes, dipped into the coffee and than biten a part of it that we hold in the mouth while drinking coffee. Than we mix that coffee and sugar in our mouth for full flavor, taste and effect of silence makes moment of enjoyment (we have full mouth of coffee). That's the moment when talk stop for couple of seconds to flush our senses of taste and give us break of reality into selfish moment of enjoyment of coffee.

Dzezva contains about 2-3 fildzans of coffee. My rule is "one fildzan - one cigarette". Together with break between cigarettes and 3 fildzans of coffee (keeping in mind that one cigarette lasts for about 5 minutes) it gives me about 1/2 hour of break of busy life.

Coffee is ritual. Being offered to drink coffee with someone is respect and call for social and spiritual exchange between people. It has similar meaning like having tea in Japan with someone.

Is this enough?

Edited: 11:19 pm, January 08, 2012
Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
919 posts
5. Re: Driving in Bosnia

Thank you @Tvrtko1995.

In my opinion, ame of tourism is to have communications with domestic people and ame of drinking coffee is also to have communications with somebody (In Bosnia).

Surprizingly, in Turkey they more often use to drink tea, but in Bosnia coffee from jazzwa is named ''Turkish coffee'', still.

Tea in Bosnia people use to drink when somebody is ill, only.

Coffee shops in Sarajevo, we had before Vienna and Paris.

In this video there is how to make Bosnian coffee but you have to put double more coffee in the pot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D0x3uDkEj8

And during drinking coffee you have to have company.

This is comercial tv for some kind of the coffee which says THERE IS NO TALK WITHOUT IT! ( Without coffee.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQRDchQgqck

Edited: 8:43 pm, January 11, 2012
san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Driving in Bosnia

Just to briefly address your question - driving in Bosnia and Croatia is a piece of cake. The only problem is getting stuck behind slow trucks on windy roads where you can't see ahead enough to pass. So long as you are a patient and conservative driver you will have no problems. Have a great trip!

Sleaford, United...
4 posts
7. Re: Driving in Bosnia

Hello how much is transit green card west to east for a car thanks Mike

Sleaford, United...
4 posts
8. Re: Driving in Bosnia

Hello again is the Green card any differant for a 1200cc motorcycle.....Mike

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
919 posts
9. Re: Driving in Bosnia

@ixlinall, I hope someone who used to buy green-card insurance will answer to you. I am going to call helpdesk of Bosnian Auto Klub and ask about that.

But, tomorrow during regular work time.

Sleaford, United...
4 posts
10. Re: Driving in Bosnia

Hello thank you for your help have a good day at work... Mike