We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Bosnia and best places to see?

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around Bosnia and best places to see?

Hi Everyone!

I am landing in Dubrovnik and will also depart from there because flights for my time off were too expensive to Sarajevo.

So, I really want to see as much as possible, I've got about 2 weeks but want to spend at least 4-5 nights in Sarajevo.

I am trying to work out the best way to start in Neum and head all the way to Tuzla and then head back to Dubronik for a day before I leave.

From Neum I want to stop at any places to see on the way to Mostar, I will stay in Mostar a couple nights and see the city and the surrounding areas, then Konjic, Sarajevo for 4-5 nights, then Zenica and Tuzla for a night or two each maximum then head back to Dubrovnik.

Do you think this is possible in 11-12 days including 4-5 nights in Sarajevo? And , what would be the best places to see inbetween those cities and the best ways to get around?

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Thanks

Neill

Banja Luka, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Bosnia and best places to see?

It is possible. Neum is not so interesting, I would say. Best option is to take direct bus Dubrovnik - Mostar, spend some time there, than transfer to Zenica (1 day will be enough). From Zenica go to Tuzla (1-2 days) and finish your journey in Sarajevo because you have direct bus from Sarajevo to Dubrovnik (if you also depart from Dubrovnik).

Cities are connected with buses, you can buy ticket on the stations, no need to book in advance. Not so many buses from Dubrovnik out of summer season, but there are some lines operating every day.

Bosnia and...
Level Contributor
30 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Bosnia and best places to see?

It is possible. I recommend you to visit Mostar and Sarajevo. There is a few locations around Mostar you should visit, like Blagaj (Vrelo Bune) and Počitelj. Avoid Zenica, because it's ugly industrial city.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Bosnia and best places to see?

Thanks - this is very helpful.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Bosnia and best places to see?

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I wasnt sure about Zenica, Maybe better to stay in Konjic or Doboj for 1/2 nights ?

Banja Luka, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around Bosnia and best places to see?

You can do Konjic in half or full day on the way from Sarajevo to Mostar.

Zenica and Doboj can be done in one day on your way from Sarajevo to Tuzla.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
427 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around Bosnia and best places to see?

If you are looking for other places to visit, then depending on your interests, I suggest looking into Jajce (nice town, waterfall), Umoljani/Lukomir (mountains, hiking) and Trebinje (nice town, nice food, wineries). I wrote quite a bit about them in other recent forum posts.

Ston, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Ston, Slano, Peljesac Peninsula, Mostar, Herzegovina-Neretva Canton
Level Contributor
2,814 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around Bosnia and best places to see?

Another place not too far from Jajce and worth consideration is Travnik, birth place of the author Ivo Andric. 'Bridge on the Drina' is a fabulous historical tale which really gives you a sense of the Balkans. It is worth reading before you travel, as is 'Bosnian Chronicle' which is set in Travnik.

8. Re: Getting around Bosnia and best places to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:32 pm, March 03, 2017
Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
6,384 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting around Bosnia and best places to see?

Serial spammer. Reported

Annandale, Virginia
Level Contributor
33 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting around Bosnia and best places to see?

It's possible but I would skip overnights or even visits to some of the places you mentioned. For example, Neum is a super-small town, village even (population about 4000), and there's nothing there to see. Literally. Even in the summer (when there's the beach and the sun), the beaches are overly crowded. Not fun at all. Zenica and Tuzla are industrial centers, to my knowledge there is absolutely nothing to see in either of them. I would recommend that you take a couple days in Dubrovnik first (definitely worth it, any time of the year), then proceed to Slano (Croatia) for a swim and lunch (nice beach, small town), drive right on thru Neum and stop at Pocitelj (historic sights, forts and old houses, Google it), but just have a break there, and keep going til Mostar. Stay the night and tour the city the next day. Contact me for tips if you want (Old Bridge clearly a must see). If in Mostar for another day, go have lunch in Blagaj (small city some 15 mins outside Mostar, great Mediterranean food, fish). Proceed to Konjic, check out the Old Bridge there too, and the Old Town (I recommend Konak restaurant, beautiful views, you can feed the ducks and seagulls as it's on the beach/i.e. river shore). Go to Sarajevo, there's lot to see and do (contact me for more detailed suggestions, it's a long list and depends on your interests). Outside Sarajevo (some 60 mins to the north) is Bijambare national park, beautiful caves with stalactites that you can enter - safe for kids even), there's a cafe and a restaurant there. There's also an "ethno-village" nearby, ask the locals for directions.