We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minsk travel questions

London, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Minsk travel questions

It's great to see that there is some Minsk expertise here on the boards. I've been looking around for information but having a hard time finding much of anything on Minsk. I've got a few questions, and if someone can spare a few minutes to answer them, I'd be grateful:

1. I see various conflicting information about whether or not a visa invitation is needed, whether or not you need medical insurance, etc. My understanding is that we should get "invited" to Belarus by an accredited travel agency (whom we pay for this service), and then they forward a letter to the embassy in my country of residence. I can then apply at that embassy for my visa, paying the usual visa fee. Medical insurance is purchased at the airport on arrival. Is this correct?

2. Hotel are expensive, and private apartment rentals seem affordable. I'm looking at a few places by this agency - www.rentinminsk.com - which I found on the wikitravel page for Minsk. It looks great, but I'm having a hard time finding any sort of independent reviews of whether or not this agency (or others that I've looked at) is legitimate, or whether they're even able to actually sponsor our visas. Is there a way of finding out whether or not an agency is actually accredited with the Belarusian government to provide invitations for tourist visas?

3. There's a group of about 6-7 of us (all guys) traveling together. We're coming into town to watch some KHL hockey in January, eat food, drink, go to clubs, and to be honest, probably go to some strip clubs, too. None of us speak any Russian (or Belarusian) at all. Are we likely to get in to trouble as non-Russian speaking foreigners in these places?

4. Speaking of hockey, it looks like it's fairly straightforward to get from the centre of town out to the arena. Just the #1 bus, it seems. Is that right?

NFH
London, UK
Level Contributor
69 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Minsk travel questions

You definitely don't need to buy state medical insurance. As a UK taxpayer, you pay for Belarusians (and for a number of other countries' citizens) to have free treatment on the NHS, so make sure you take advantage of this reciprocal agreement. When I crossed the border from Lithuania into Belarus, some Lithuanians in front of me had problems for not having medical insurance, but when they saw my British passport, I had no problem. They should be even more informed at the airport. In any case, it is always prudent to have travel insurance which includes private medical treatment anyway, although a UK travel insurance policy wouldn't be recognised at the border for any of you who are not British citizens.

Minsk, Belarus
Destination Expert
for Minsk
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Minsk travel questions

The airport people are well-aware of this privilege of the Britons, others don't.

A

13. Re: Minsk travel questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 13, 2014