We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive From Trieste to Tirana

Which Tirana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
485 reviews
Save Topic
Drive From Trieste to Tirana

My wife and I are contemplating the drive from Trieste to Tirana in seven days in June or July 2011. We are American, in our early 70s, and well traveled in Europe (except for this specific area) and have done extensive research on the sites to see. Beyond the normal travel safety and security issues, are there any specific issues along the coast route about which we should be concerned. Any issues with border crossings?

Tirana
Level Contributor
226 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive From Trieste to Tirana

I have done that drive myself twice with the intent of returning as quickly as possible from Aviano to Tirana with a car full of kids. I can't give too much advice on sightseeing as I didn't do much, just a lot of driving. It took me a little less than 15 hours driving time last time.

There are no real border crossing issues as long as your passports are current with at least six months validity remaining and your insurance/rental/ownership documents are complete. You will need to have the international "green card" for insurance.

I suggest you enter Albania at the Muriqan crossing point south of Bar as opposed to going into Podgorica and then crossing at Hani Hotit. The road from the border to Shkoder is under "construction" and will be terrible for quite some time. Muriqan is less busy and quicker to pass through.

Once you get into Albania, be prepared for some terrible driving behaviors. Expect other drivers to do the most unsafe things at every turn. Makes Naples look tame!

2. Re: Drive From Trieste to Tirana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, January 15, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Tirana