We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Albania to Greece

Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Albania to Greece

We are hoping to travel from Dubrovnik, through Albania to Thessaloniki in Greece. I have four children. Could anyone tell me the quickest and safest route and roughly how long would this take?

Cetinje, Montenegro
Destination Expert
for Tirana, Albania
Level Contributor
318 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Albania to Greece

Hey there, as for the Kotor ferry, last year was 4 Euros per ordinary car, for lorry or buss is more expensive. I drove this road several times last year, around bay is beuatiful so if you have time and the weather is nice I would recomend it.

If you do this stop at Catovici Mlini, exceptionally beatiful restaurant. This is on your left maybe kilometar after you pass the ferry on the way from Dubrovnik to Kotor. Also on your way is Perast, small old little town, you will not regret if you stop and have a short walk.

April should be good weather and not crowded so you will be fine on the way.

Good luck and let me know if you need something,

uk
Level Contributor
69 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Albania to Greece

its funny how different people look at things.

i too am planning a motorcycle trip from the uk to greece and want to go down the coast road thru croatia,bosnia,montenegro,albania into greece.

i went to the olympics in 2004 and went thru romania,bulgaria with no problems.

some say do not go thru albania and yet others say no problem!

i think we need to do these trips and stop worrying about everything that "might" happen.

ps...as it will be approx 200 miles, an overnight stay is req'd as i don't want to rush, any suggestions please?

preferably not in a large city as i sometimes spend hours looking for addresses!

Tirana
Level Contributor
226 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Albania to Greece

Depending on the time of year and the route you choose, there are plenty of options for overnighting in Albania. Assuming you stay in Montenegro the night before, you will probably make it at least to the Tirana/Durres area before wanting to stop for the night. If it's not July/August, there will be plenty of places in Durres to stay along the beach. The Adriatik Hotel is a "5-star" hotel right on the beach. I would suggest you find something a little less pretentious and there are scads of smaller hotels along teh beach to the south in the area called Golem.

If you make it farther than Durres, the next best place to try would be Vlora. It's a good sized port city with many hotels. The coastal road along the beach also offer options such as at Uje Ftohte, Radhime, or Orikum.

If you are speed racer and make it farther, there are small hotels in the National Park of Llogara (way up in the mountains) or a few miles farther along at Palasa and Dhermi.

If you want to explore more detailed route planning through Albania, e-mail me at sksintirana@hotmail.com

Cheers!

Cetinje, Montenegro
Destination Expert
for Tirana, Albania
Level Contributor
318 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Albania to Greece

Hey DugsUK,

you will have no problems traveling through Albania, the roads are getting better and the trip is pleasant providing you don't rush. Albanians are not the best and most careful drivers and this is the only concern that you should have.

I think if you travel from Montenegro, u will be in 6 hours (slow drive)from the border of Montenegro to Vlora and this is where I would recomend you stay. There is a very good hotel there, clean and resonably priced Paversia, if you want a bit of luxury next to it is Vlora International.

Also I would recomend you take Muriqani/Sukobin border crossing since the road is much better. The road from Hani Hoti/Bozaj border crossing is getting worse and from the Albanian border to Shkodra is really very bad.

Hope this is helpful, after Vlora take a drive to Saranda along the coast, it is stunning.

Have a great time,

15. Re: Albania to Greece

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:30 pm, March 18, 2009
16. Re: Albania to Greece

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:33 pm, March 26, 2009
17. Re: Albania to Greece

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, October 18, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Tirana