We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Albania safe for tourist and what are the best places

Sydney
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Topic
Is Albania safe for tourist and what are the best places

I have traveled in Montenegro, BiH and Greece in the recent years but have not yet been to Albania. Is the country safe for travelers- in regard to petty crime, robbery, car thefts, scams, social disturbances etc?

Also, if I could only choose 2 places to go to what are they. Vlore? Sarande? Tirana no good?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Cetinje, Montenegro
Destination Expert
for Tirana, Albania
Level Contributor
318 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Albania safe for tourist and what are the best places

the country is absolutely safe and welcoming, people are warm and nice. depending on the time of year you will be coming and how long you will stay I would suggest you drive to Berat, visit the castle, then go to Vlora and drive to Saranda, the road is great and you will see beautiful Jonian coast. If you have time go and visit Gjirokaster, it is only one and a half hour distance from Saranda.

Have a great time in Albania,

Sydney
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Albania safe for tourist and what are the best places

HI Rozafa

Thanks for your advice. Apology for my ignorance - just that there are so much perception about Albania outside your country hence I don't really know much until people living there tell me, I suppose.

Thanks again.

Alan

Cetinje, Montenegro
Destination Expert
for Tirana, Albania
Level Contributor
318 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Albania safe for tourist and what are the best places

Don't worry Alan, we all fall into this trap of being influence by media and wrong perception.

By the way Albania is not my country but I live and work here for the last almost five years and I like it :)

I am sure you will have a great time,

best,

4. Re: Is Albania safe for tourist and what are the best places

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, February 07, 2015
Venice, Italy
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Albania safe for tourist and what are the best places

Im Albanian and i live in abroad, i have visited Albania every year for the last 10 yrs and i must say what this thing Endri Shemia is saying is unheard off, dont know where he went but for sure it was not Albania!!!

Albania is recomended in the first place of 10 top destinations to visit in lonely planet and the CNN for 2011<<they do their research and would not recomand a unsafe country>> this is not a coinsidence Albania is one of the oldest countrys in europe with unsang history a beauty it has stood stiill <<and survived>>as a lot of difrent empieres ruled the world and u would find something from each of this empires in there, add the fact that 2 diferent Sea l are part of the albanian cost <<adriatic, Jonian >>add the fact that albania in the last few yrs has seen one of the bigest economical grouth in europe , and this grouth it can bee seen best in the investment that is obvious every where in Alb 7000miles of new roads build just the last 4 yrs <<wich has made it so much easier and quicker to visit all the difrent citys in Albania>>The last 4 yrs have seen the number of turists visiting Albania go up to 10times as much as 5yrs ago, and this coming yr Albania is expecting the highest number of Turist to date, here are a few links about Albania

overseas-property-world.com/26/…

lonelyplanet.com/albania/…76164

independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/201…

wn.com/Albanian_Tourism_Videospot-CNN-BBC-RE…

sofiaecho.com/2010/12/29/1018131_cnns-top-10…

ok i think there are enough links in there now :) as for the sugestion that is not safe i would say that Alb is a Nato member, and it just complisht one of its bigest ever archivment in the visa liberalisation u dont archive that without ticking the boxes so please no false fabrication in here!!!

exuse my bad english !!!

Shkoder, Albania
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Albania safe for tourist and what are the best places

This is a reply for Endri Shamia, I am albanian abroad myself and visit there every year and its great. I dont know what experience you've had but with time I am sure you will get over the fear of life and find heaven.

For tourist going to Albania i recomend seaside resourses, historic monuments and alps. Do not display lots of cash, always ask for a bargain when you buy things, do not be afraid to ask people for help as they usualy help.

Now, there is no heaven on earth, but never let your gard down anywhere on holiday, not only in albainia.

I live in UK and lots of British tourist who have been in Corfu (Greece, next to Albania) tell me that the tour guide told them a lot of bad things about Albania and when those tourists actually visited Albania (out of curriousity) they found it so accomodating.

Overall it is good.

London
Level Contributor
121 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Albania safe for tourist and what are the best places

hi... i agree with u... cant believe that albanian nation saying such a rubbish about his country... i am polish and been there arround 6 times.. once own my own for two weeks and they dont speak english or polish..i been visitting familly but still... my husband comes from korca district.. i really think it is very great place to see.. people are so kind and warm welcoming, food most delicious organic homemade.. especcialy fried cheese in tirana , rost lamb in pogradec and chicken soup in kruja!!! fish in shkoder must do!!! it is poor country but i would not to be scary to travel there.. i guess who looks for trouble then will find it everywhere... im sad that we all wherever travel wish to find marks and spencer, new look, next, mc donalds, burger king, bp petrol stations and all this same products all this same shops, etc... where is the beauty of travelling, discovering learning culture.. the world become global city... i am travelling a lot a lot and must say i must hurry up coz if i wont visit some places in next 10 years there is nothing to be to visitting and all gona look like london... i want albania to stay as they are with their culture, their most amazing lively music, with their goats and sheeps on the fields and dirty roads and natural landscapes... yes please do go to albania... avoid walking own your own at the evenings and not to carry to much cash, take dictionary and copy of passport... and thats all, you would be recomended that to do in any other country becouse there are everywhere incidents and accidents and bad luck and bad people.. in egypt in poland in england and in albania tho...enjoy...

tung xhoanna

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Albania safe for tourist and what are the best places

I have the same concern. But your all comments make me feel good

London
Level Contributor
121 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Albania safe for tourist and what are the best places

hi,,

am glad, i was worry as well when i was going there first time:) and must say becouse i was listening a such a silly stereotypes. i think is good to do a little research before we go even next city for visiting, it really all depend at the situation, generally i found albanian people really nice and helpful,

im not so sure where i would be feel more safe in poland, albania, or italy but must admit the most frightening me is really london, hire u never know what may happend, after 2007,

as my granny was saying u keep yoyr eyes open, if u tempted for toruble then u get them. instynct tells u when better to drop it and let it go. i hope u all going to have nice time and unforgetable experience.. nice only!!. let us know .

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
214 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Albania safe for tourist and what are the best places

I'm in Albania now and can say that I have not been ripped off once and in 10 years of travel, Albanians have been among the friendliest and helpful people i have ever come across. I am loving my visit 9a circuit from the north ending in Macedonia), which i am doing entirely on public transport and finding accommodation as i go. i am already planning next year's....

Some of my friends at home asked me if it was safe. It's true life is a bit different here to other places, but I cannot recommend highly enough