We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Korea - 1 to 3 day tour (from Seoul)???

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
North Korea - 1 to 3 day tour (from Seoul)???

Hi,

Anybody know of a short 1 to 3 day tour into North Korea from South Korea (Seoul)?

Something good (but not too pricey)

Any ideas would be very appreciated :)

Chicago
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: North Korea - 1 to 3 day tour (from Seoul)???

there's a korean-american company that has representatives in SK that will take you to North Korea. www.yangpatours.com

Australia
Level Contributor
178 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Korea - 1 to 3 day tour (from Seoul)???

I don't think you will be able to fly from Sth to Nth Korea you will have to go via Beijing or Russia. South Korean's are not able to go to the North that is why there are no direct flights. We are going there early September with a tour group and the visa application is quite a process as well as other paperwork.

Regards Mary

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Korea - 1 to 3 day tour (from Seoul)???

Thank you Mary. I was hoping there might be a bus tour for tourists from South Korea into North, but I imagine North Korea have tight control of towns and places that foreigners are allowed to visit. I might save it as a side trip when I one day go to Beijing :)

Frankfurt, Germany
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: North Korea - 1 to 3 day tour (from Seoul)???

There is a 1 day tour from Dandong, China. It is the border town into NK. BUT........ It is only for people with chinese passports!

However, there is a 1 day tour for all passports provided which is conducted in China. You only get to go close to the shore of NK but NOT on land. We found that tour very interesting. Even tho it is only on the coast of NK, there is still much to see about the life of the people there.

Ask your hotel desk & they will be able to provide more information. Please note that this tour is only conducted in chinese.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Korea - 1 to 3 day tour (from Seoul)???

Thanks for the reply. That's good advice. I guess the hotel will know if there is any tours into NK :)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Korea - 1 to 3 day tour (from Seoul)???

Hi there you will not find a tour into NK from SK as the two countries are officially still at war. They only ever signed a armistice agreement and since then there have been no diplomatic relations between the two koreas at all. For instance there is no postal or phone service between the two countries. A train station on the SK side which should have had trains to Pyongyang has never left. If you want to visit NK then your best and probably only bet is from china. I used Koryo tours and they were amazing. From Sk you can take a one day tour to the DMZ which is fascinating and you will get a view into the hermit kingdom. I have been on both sides of the border. You can well imagine the info in NK is not very objective to say the least and they dont have a single good word to say about SK (or the US or Japan for that matter) other than they hope one day to reunite the two countries under the Principle of Juche which is NK's rather warped Idealogy of self reliance. Apparently the great leader was working on some 7 point plan to reunite the Koreas when he died. If you see the two koreas you will soon realize there arent enough points to ever reunite. The north have no concept of Market economies and capatilism and the general population is kept in total ignorance. In some ways if you ever visit you will find the people to be what I can only describe as "innocent". Believe me there is no other place quite like it and the best way to describe it is as one huge totalitarian theme park.

all the best

Angie

www.angietravels.com

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Korea - 1 to 3 day tour (from Seoul)???

BTW i had a look at the link for Yangpa and as I suspected the tours are only from Beijing. There is simply no concievable way based on the current political situation that you can travel into NK from the South.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North Korea - 1 to 3 day tour (from Seoul)???

Thanks so much Angie. Your post is very helpful and interesting. NK does sound really fascinating, and when I eventually do get to go to China, I will definitely go to NK. But I guess for this trip, I will have to stay in the South. Happy travels :)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North Korea - 1 to 3 day tour (from Seoul)???

Hi Susan do go on the DMZ tour which you can do easily from SK. - your hotel should be able to arrange this for you with very little notice. I arranged my tour the day before. I sat with our guide on the way back who was amazing and I asked her how she felt towards NK. She said the general feeling was one of intimidation. Look up Koryo tours and you will get loads of info on NK.

SK is great too. Do go to the Korean folk village - I spent a lovely day there. There was some chap of about 70 performing on a high wire. If you see him give him my regards :-)

have a great trip

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North Korea - 1 to 3 day tour (from Seoul)???

Thanks for the travel advice. It is greatly appreciated. I will at least do the DMZ tour, as I did read about it and it does look interesting. I'm not sure how much time I will have, but I might try to fit the folk village in to. Thanks again :)