We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New North Korea Travel Agent, legit? juchetravelservices

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
New North Korea Travel Agent, legit? juchetravelservices

OK, so this new operation has appeared, Juche Travel Services (.com) offering substantial discounts on North Korea tours, but:

- They are new

- I can find no one that been on their trips before

- The copy seems to be almost identical to other sites

- There is no physical address or phone number

- They are not members of the Pacific Asia Travel Association

- Their Website is registered via Twocows.com

So I have to ask are they legitimate? Has anyone been on a journey with them or has booked a trip?

Thanks

Ian

Washington, DC
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: New North Korea Travel Agent, legit? juchetravelservices

Hi - Did you ever find out any information about this? I am thinking about doing a tour with them. Thank you!

-Justin

Melbourne
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: New North Korea Travel Agent, legit? juchetravelservices

Hey you guys!

Juche Travel Services does indeed exist - I just got back from a tour with them in February during Kim Jong Il's birthday celebrations. Totally, totally amazing trip.

Anyway, I understand any hesitation you might have (I had the same before I made the leap of faith and transferred 895 Euro to a Beijing bank account) - however, my experience was absolutely fantastic. Our itinerary was essentially the same as a group travelling with Koryo Group - as far as I could discern the only differences were that we didn't have a Western guide accompanying us (totally unnecessary - the Korean guides are lovely, knowledgeable, and highly articulate), our tour group was way smaller (four of us instead of about twenty), and the cost was substantially lower.

If you're at all concerned about how legit the company is I suggest getting in contact with David by email or phone. His responses are timely and helpful and you can get his details on the website. If I recall correctly they also posted something on Facebook recently about accepting Paypal, which is a tiny bit less scary than international bank transfer.

Anyway all the best with your travel plans - I definitely recommend a sojourn in the DPRK. 100% most mind-blowing place I've ever visited.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: New North Korea Travel Agent, legit? juchetravelservices

How, in the name of all that is holy, can you say that its a mind blowing place when they are murdering, torturing and depriving their own people of food, medicine and basic rights

London, England...
Level Contributor
28 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New North Korea Travel Agent, legit? juchetravelservices

Can anyone else back up if they're genuine?

Not saying I don't trust Aidan's first post, but yeah?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New North Korea Travel Agent, legit? juchetravelservices

The best way to describe NK is as one big totalitarian theme park. The people, and bear in mind they dont take you to any rural areas all had a look of innocence about them. Where in the world could you go to just after Michael Jacksons death where they wouldnt have heard of him. I cant back up Juche tours. I used Koryo and they were excellent. We had 16 in our group. All our guides were North Korean. One male and female. I asked the female guide if a tour guide is what she had wanted to do. She said she had never thought of it and they actually selected her. She understood this was partly on the basis that her English was excellent and her parents (at least one of them if I understood correctly) was some sort of minister in the government. Much to my surprise she had even been allowed to visit china with her parents for a vacation. Both the guides seemed well balanced and were extremely friendly. We used to call her the dear guide but I was never sure if she understood the irony of it. One of the things they will probably tell you before your trip is to listen attentively and not pass negative comments on their beliefs and ideology or to try and convert them to capitalism. They dont understand the concept, although I frankly think the guides have a fair idea. If you have been to SK its quite ok to say it. Of course a lot of the info you get is not very objective and they really do call the americans the imperialists. At the border - the 38th parallel you will see both south and nort korean guards within a few meters of each other. I asked if they spoke to each other. Apparently they never do. The other experience that struck in my mind was that the hotel had a really nice hand painted poster. I wanted to buy it but we were leaving the next morning so I gave it to the lady in the store and asked if she could put it aside for me. She seemed to understand and as soon as I got back i went down to the shop to buy the pic only to be told she had sold it to someone else. There was no point complaining about it. A day later we went to a store and I saw a very similar pic except it was being sold for 50 euros instead of 20. I asked the guide to ask if I could have it for 20 like the one in the hotel. It seemed fair enough even though his eyes almost popped out of his head at such a suggestion. We trotted over and with much bantering he obviously asked, but the answer was no. I took it from that, that sort of bargaining is an unknown concept to them. There is no sort of free market in NK. Another curious thing is that when you leave they will take your camera and check your pictures. If they see something they dont like they simply delete it. A trip to NK is like no other place on earth. Dont miss it. .

have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

Edited: 11:14 am, May 17, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New North Korea Travel Agent, legit? juchetravelservices

If you're on facebook "like" their page. (https:/…) I'm going on a tour in Sept with JTS and have communicated with others who have already traveled with Juche and so far I've heard no complaints.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New North Korea Travel Agent, legit? juchetravelservices

The tour I'm doing is an aviation enthusiats' tour.

Malta
Level Contributor
30 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New North Korea Travel Agent, legit? juchetravelservices

can you please let us have your friend's who have been to north korea,contact please so they can let us know their experience.

thank you

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New North Korea Travel Agent, legit? juchetravelservices

just came back from a tour with them. totally legit. i had a great time. the kitc guides (korean) were fantastic and david (from juche) was excellent as well. nothing to fear :-)

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New North Korea Travel Agent, legit? juchetravelservices

Ben C, there are some people in this world who know how to make the difference between the government and the people. Apparently, you're not one of them.