We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying standby

NY
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Flying standby

Has anyone had any luck flying standby from LAX to Papeete? Are flights usually full or extra seats?

Edited: 10:42 pm, December 28, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Papeete
Papeete
Tahiti, French Polynesia
Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying standby

Depends on the particular flight. Sometimes they are completely full. Sometimes not. Problems is.... on most days there is only 1 flight. So if it's full, you'd have to wait until the next day. You could theoretically have 2 or 3 or 4 days in a row that are all full. What time of year are you looking at?

Do you have plans once you get there? Although not impossible...it's not the easiest place to go without any advance plans or reservations.

NY
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying standby

We were looking at mid February to take a cruise

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying standby

Why standby? Are there no seats available for purchase? If it's Paul Gauguin, they usually have an enormous block of seats reserved for their passengers; I'd also check directly with Air Tahiti and Air France's websites (could also check the Hawaiian one, although they have an even less frequent schedule), along with one or more travel agents who specialize in Tahiti and deal with the packagers like Pleasant. I assume you're talking about this February and I could easily imagine that one or more of the above have in fact sold out of their seat allotments at this point. Flying standby with a cruise waiting for you on the other end, seems super risky to me... our low season flights have been very, very full the last couple of years--seems to be the trend for airlines.

Mentioned in this post
Tahiti
Tahiti
Society Islands, French Polynesia
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying standby

By Flying stand b y, do you mean Non rev travel on employee or buddy passes?

if so consider buying Z fare on TN and AF ( and get the unused one reimbursed .

Feb should be quieter for travel ( look for the school holiday dates for FP since many tahitians have friends or family working for the airline and will use their passes to travel ( read busy flight for non rev pax ).

Plan carefully so not to miss the cruise....

meherio

NY
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying standby

Yes I do mean non rev for airline employees. Good suggestions I will look into it. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Ponder, Texas
Level Contributor
91 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying standby

We want to do this too but with only 1 flight a day from LAX, I'm super nervous to try. 😕 all those pay cuts we took wouldn't be do bad if we could actually use our flight benefits for a cool trip. We would be buying Zed fare on Air Tahiti... So did you book the cruise?

Mentioned in this post
Tahiti
Tahiti
NY
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying standby

No not yet, we are nervous too getting caught and having to pay the airfare which is very expensive. The cruise is a great deal it's just the problem getting there. We are from the East coast so we are also considering going to Costa Rica which is beautiful we have been before but have always wanted to visit the South Pacific.

Ponder, Texas
Level Contributor
91 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying standby

Well we booked the March 22 cruise BUT I bought tickets from LAX to PPT. At least I won't have to stress until 1/2 way thru the cruise! We went to Costa Rica and LOVED it. Did an all inclusive Barcelo Langosta (? I think thats the name) and then drove to Arenal Volcano and stayed a few days at an awesome hotel which I can't remember. Areanal lodge maybe. Good luck whatever you do!

Mentioned in this post
Faaa Airport
Faaa Airport
Tahiti, French Polynesia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying standby

DLynn2- did you end up going? We're booked for the 3/12 cruise and are non-revving from LAX. There is a flight on 3/11 through Air Tahiti and 2 flights on 3/12 (Air Tahiti & Air France). I'm super nervous about it. I'm going to wait until it's closer to the 12th and consider going standby starting on the 10th.

Mentioned in this post
Tahiti
Tahiti
NY
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying standby

No we did not end up going. I'm still looking at it for another time. We ended up in the Caribbean instead. You will have to let me know how you made out. As long as you are a little flexible with your days hopefully you should be fine. It sure would save a lot of money going non-rev. We did it going over to Australia a few years ago and had no problem going over but coming back we had to purchase a ticket. Hopefully no problems for you. Good luck and I'm sure it will be wonderful. Hopefully soon we will go.