We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation forTahiti Day Trips

Santa Cruz, CA
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transportation forTahiti Day Trips

While staying on Moorea for 7 nights we plan to take several day trips by ferry to Tahiti. We would like to explore the island (not just Papeete) and are wondering about our options: Should we rent a car (if so, who to rent from) or is it possible to get around to hot spots by bus or Le Truck? Is it worth it to do a Circle Island Tour instead? How about the 4x4 mountain safari?

Thanks in advance!

daytrip-er

Kevai Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Moorea
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation forTahiti Day Trips

Hi oddbird,

Le Truck is great in the populated parts of the island but that is it. Renting a car is a good option and I would go with Avis or Europcar. If you want a great tour and the chance to also learn a few things, I highly recommend the 4x4 mountain safari. The interior of Tahiti is amazing!

Santa Cruz, CA
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation forTahiti Day Trips

Very helpful coconutscience. Thank you.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,374 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation forTahiti Day Trips

coconutscience or anyone who knows --

We also are first time visitors and have only one day in Papeete (a Sunday) and would like to see the island. Our hotel is in town (Le Mandarin) and I'm thinking the parking would be difficult there in town.

What's your opinion on that? We'd have to go back to airport to pick up the car and return it, right? I'm busy talking myself out of this plan as I type because it sounds too much work and involves taxi or transfer on top of car, but I'd still like to hear the answer.

We're also considering using that day to go to Moorea and rent a car for four hours, but then we won't see Tahiti Island (whereas we will have 3 days in Moorea when we return through FP from the Cooks).

Utah
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation forTahiti Day Trips

We also stayed at the Mandarin hotel for 1 night post-cruise this April. I have to say that it was dissappointing compared with other tripadvisor hotel recommendations we have experienced. Furnishings not great and beds a little scary. The biggest problem is that it is incredibly hot in Tahiti year round and the hotel is one of those where the air conditioning only works when you are there, you have to insert your room key. We returned from dinner at 8 p.m and it was a couple of hours before the temp was bearable. If I had it to do over again I would be assertive about insisting they give me two keys so I could leave one in the room when gone. I do not know if they will do this or not. We booked a circle island tour that the Mandarin arranged for us and it was supposed to be a four hour tour in an air-conditioned van and it wasn't air conditioned so therefore was miserable. It cost $40 per person paid up front and if there are 4 of you, for the same cost you could negotiate for a taxi van near the pier to take you to all the same places and it would be airconditioned. They take you to the Paul Gaugin museum and a wonderful botanical garden next door, it would be best to have 40 minutes at each but the tours only give you time to do one. They also take you to a lovely waterfall, take bugspray. Car rentals are $140 unless you go with Hertz which is less but they include no free kilometers. Le truck would be difficult unless you speak fluent French, mine is not yet fluent. Many ot the locals don't speak English.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,374 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation forTahiti Day Trips

travelerjoyce,

just wondering what you mean when you say "beds are a little scary." Can you elaborate?

6. Re: Transportation forTahiti Day Trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, August 15, 2009