We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do for 5 hours while we wait for our plane to Papeet

Tulsa, Oklahoma
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to do for 5 hours while we wait for our plane to Papeet

Living in the mid-west we can either divide our trip by waiting in numerous airports or staying for a long time at LAX. Is it possible to get a driver to take us to a beach or another destination that won't be too costly.

Thanks much!

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do for 5 hours while we wait for our plane to Papeet

The problem is...that 5 hours really isn't THAT much time. You will need close to 3 of it for arrival, check in, security, etc. So at the most you will only have 2 hours to play with. What time of day are you arriving?

Tulsa, Oklahoma
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do for 5 hours while we wait for our plane to Papeet

I have an uncle in Riverside - it seems so hard to be nearby and not see him. If LAX and the traffic wasn't such difficult place to get in and out of I would ask him to meet us at the airport for a few hours.

We are getting in at 9:00am and now our flight doesn't leave until 4:30pm.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
485 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do for 5 hours while we wait for our plane to Papeet

Quite a dilemma. Everything in LA is "depends on" either "traffic", "weather, i.e., rain slows EVERYTHING to a crawl" and "day of week" and "time of day" and "time of the year", i.e., Christmas holidays, etc. 9 a.m. is close to the end of the rush hour but crossing LA with a drive from Riverside can be very challenging except between 10 p.m. and 4 a.m., unless there is construction. Effectively, you will have about three hours with your Uncle for a visit as you need three hours to check in and get through all of the stuff for your flight to Tahiti. If it were me having to meet someone at LAX (and I live 35 miles away with easy access to freeways) it would have to be a very good relative that I really wanted to see.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do for 5 hours while we wait for our plane to Papeet

It does seem a shame to be so close by and not be able to see someone.

Unless we get lucky or our travel agent pulls a rabbit out of a hat, we will be among the throngs in line for TN seats. My rule-of-thumb for LAX is to wear comfortable shoes, because I know I'll be waiting in line (more likely multiple lines) for a long, long time.

los angeles
Level Contributor
105 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do for 5 hours while we wait for our plane to Papeet

This is 2 months after your post, but if you have left yet, maybe you can use this information. Since you will be boarding the plane in Tulsa, I will assume that you are checking everything to PPT through there, so you will just have to change planes at LAX. This will leave you 7 hours. Riverside may be a good 2 hour drive each way from LAX depending on traffic. Why don't you have your uncle drive to LAX and pick you up? It is a short drive to the beach from there. You can walk around, have a nice lunch and a relaxing day before heading back to the airport. You will have to pass through security again, so you will have to be back there at least an hour before takeoff.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do for 5 hours while we wait for our plane to Papeet

Thanks for the updates. We had a fabulous time in Tahiti - it was a happy, happy trip. I agree with photoguy - it would have to be a very good relative to drive to the airport for a brief visit! I couldn't ask my 80+ uncle to make trip to the airport so I am going to make a separate trip to see him.

We actually ended up renting a car (we had award points) and saw James Bond and ate lunch in a nearby area with lots of shops and restaurants. It was a fun afternoon!

The one thing that I failed to understand was that the airplane was through Air Tahiti, not Delta. The seats were really uncomfortable for my 6'5 husband on an overnight flight. I am looking forward to going back, but I will have a hard time convincing my husband!

Thanks to all the people on TA with the suggestions to help plan our trip.

7. Re: What to do for 5 hours while we wait for our plane to Papeet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, January 07, 2014