We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Papeete lodgings with late night pickup from airport?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,607 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Papeete lodgings with late night pickup from airport?

Hi, I've been reading the other threads about trying to find good short term lodgings in Papeete when arriving in middle of night and departing the same ungodly hour. Nothing has stuck. Help!

Our situation:

We are just passing through Papeete on our way to and from the Cooks and will have to spend 4 nights (2 each way) due to the infrequent flights. We're not going to get much from our stay there. We'll probably want to take the ferry to Moorea on one segment, maybe a circle drive the other, or if we had a nice hotel we might just stay there and rest up from the flight. We've no interest in nightlife but we'd like to stay where it's easy to get a decent meal.

We're flying into Papeete twice late at night, once from Hawaii at 22:45 and once from Raro at 1:00 am, then add on customs time. We are not decrepit but too old to want to stay on airport benches.

We don't want to have to figure our Papeete at that time of night. We don't want to get ripped off by a taxi. Nor do we want to take our luggage and go trekking up airport hill. We want simple, to be picked up or to take transport that is honest and goes straight to hotel that isn't far away. A safe clean hotel where we can catch the bus or bus to ferry in the daytime.

We'll also need to get back to the airport at 23:00 once and the other time at 5:00 am.

And 100-150 USD is about what we'd like to pay. Any suggestions? We would sure appreciate some help!

PS. I can read French (sort of) but we only speak English.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Papeete lodgings with late night pickup from airport?

If Les Tip is booked or doesn't meet your needs, another option in the same category is just a few doors down, Fare Vai Moana. We stayed there last year. They have clean, very basic Polynesian style bungalows and a restaurant/bar. You have an amazing view of the sunset here and a nice stretch of beach. We stayed in a beach bungalow, but they are set back a bit on grass.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,607 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Papeete lodgings with late night pickup from airport?

missraven,

I love the photos of the interiors of Fare Vai Moana, which I hadn't heard of yet. I am googling on it right now.

Is it part of Pacific Resorts, because I can't (as yet) find a web page other than Pacific Resorts that seems to be the direct booking.

Since you stayed there, maybe you wouldn't mind telling me:

What size are those beds? I read doubles somewhere, would much prefer Q or even K.

Where is it located exactly going from Les Tipaniers (which I have on a map)?

We would like to kayak a little from our lodging (rather than canoe). Do they have kayaks?

Much obliged

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,607 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Papeete lodgings with late night pickup from airport?

just an update--I just got a reply from Tipaniers and the main hotel is completely full for my dates, but the Iti bungalows down the road are available. I just have no real information on what they're like; the website doesn't explain much of anything.

I realize others have different dates but it appears this place is quite popular and good to start early with reservations. My dates are Sept 6-9th so this isn't exactly last minute.

Continuing to look at pics of Fare Vai Moana. It appears to be a bit more costly than Linareva garden studio but in the same rough ballpark.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Papeete lodgings with late night pickup from airport?

KamaainaK: No, I don’t think it’s not part of Pacific Resorts. I’ve seen their web site -- I think they just provide information on hotels. As far as I know Vai Moana is independently owned but I could be wrong.

The bed we had was a double and our bungalow looked exactly like the one you see entitled "inside" on the Pacific Resorts web site. In fact, that is probably the one we stayed in. I doubt they have larger beds in other bungalows, but I guess it's possible. The thing is, the bungalows didn't vary in size, so they probably had the same size beds.

Fare Vai Moana is located at PK 27.5, a bit further south from Les Tipaniers. As I remember there were a few restaurants to the north and then the Hibiscus (I think) and then Les Tip.

I want to say that they had kayaks available, but to be perfectly honest, I don’t remember for sure -- sorry! We did a lot of snorkeling there which was lovely. Maybe send them an email or give them a call. They don’t seem to have their own web site, unfortunately. Their email is farevaimoana@mail.pf and their phone is +689 56 17 14.

Hope this helps!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,607 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Papeete lodgings with late night pickup from airport?

That's a great help, missraven.

I have gone ahead and emailed.

btw when I ran a search I found two threads in the TA Moorea forum where people are begging for info on this place and I'm sure they'd love to hear what you've told me.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Papeete lodgings with late night pickup from airport?

I’m glad to be of help :-)

I had no idea people were looking for info. I’ll see if I can find the threads, but maybe I’ll also start a new thread entitled Information on Fare Vai Moana...

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,607 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Papeete lodgings with late night pickup from airport?

Sounds like a plan. There's no info there, only questions, and nothing specific on tahiti explorer forum for Moorea either.

I tried to post the thread links but they were too long and my post was rejected.

They come up readily with a search in the Moorea forum for Fare Vai Moana though.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Papeete lodgings with late night pickup from airport?

I tried to reply to some of the threads asking for info on Fare Vai Moana, but the option to reply was no longer avaiable. So I posted a general report on the Moorea board.

Have a great trip!