We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

papeete hotel

Which Papeete hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
papeete hotel

simply traveling on my way to new zealand, and want to find a decent priced hotel for a 2 night stay in papeete.. something nice enough for me and my girlfriend.. best all around value? anyone have hotels tyo recommend?

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
255 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: papeete hotel

excuse my lack of caps, sprained my wrist and can onlty type with one hand. we stayed at le mandrian in downtown papeette. clean, comfortable beautiful hard wood floors. close to market and ferry to moorea. not a resort, but reasonably priced.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
233 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: papeete hotel

Mandarin is a good option.

The Tiare in another one right in the center, with a nice view on the harbour.

Glens Falls,New York
Level Contributor
129 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: papeete hotel

bunman,Do NOT stay at the Le Mandarin in Papeete.It's a cockroach infested hotel.

We just got back from our second visit to Tahiti.We booked the Le Mandarin because IslandGirl said it was a good choice..NOT!

20 minutes after we got to our supposedly 'Mini-suite' the cockroaches came out from behind the bed posts and were crawling all over the walls and jumping on our beds!And all the lights were on!! We ran out into the hall with barefeet and luggage in hand and took a taxi to the Sheraton.

The front desk lady apologized and offered to call a taxi for us....

NEVER again will I stay at the Le Mandarin Papeete or advise anyone else to stay there!

Debbie

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,438 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: papeete hotel

A good value is at the Sofitel in Tahiti. The hotel has just been completely remodeled. The rooms are small but they are nice. The restaurant is great, they actually have a beach, and the drinks were cheap in comparison to other Tahitian resorts and a the bar is right by the beach....that's the nice thing about this property is that it has a resort feel...not sure how much you want to spend but this is a good mid range property in a great location.

sunny regards,

shully

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
255 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: papeete hotel

Debbie,

I am so sory to hear that you had abad ecperience based on my recommendation. When we were threre atr room was sotlessly clean and ther was not one single bug, we were there in September? Could it be seasonal? I don't know, but again sorry you had a bad experience,

Kris

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: papeete hotel

We've been contemplating the Mandarin for a 1 nt stay because the reviews seemed "decent" for an overnighter. But the roach factor just icked me out! Thanks for the heads up - we are trying to switch to the Sofitel for our stay in June.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: papeete hotel

We've been contemplating the Mandarin for a 1 nt stay because the reviews seemed "decent" for an overnighter. But the roach factor just icked me out! Thanks for the heads up - we are trying to switch to the Sofitel for our stay in June.

Glens Falls,New York
Level Contributor
129 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: papeete hotel

islandgirl,Since this was our first stay at the Le Mandarin I really don't know if it's just a seasonal problem or maybe because they were renovating the reception area?? I don't know.We realize in a hot climate like Tahiti there are bound to be bugs but not like this.

We can take a bug here and there,lizards,mosquitos,frogs,exc...exc..but this was quite different.When we went into the room we saw a cockroach in the bathroom and called to have it removed.Ten minutes later when we came out from brushing our teeth their were big cockroaches crawling on our walls and beds!! And all the lights were on! Thank god we saw them before we went to bed...imagine waking up with one of those awful things on us...eek!

I really have no idea why the big bug problem.I read more reccommendations than just yours and thought it would be OK for a night but that was not the case.

There's no way you could have known..your experience was a good one,I just wish we had the same.

Debbie

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
233 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: papeete hotel

Hi there,

Have you noticed by any chance if it rained the next day ?

For me that would be the only reason why nobody would have complained before and that specific day, it happened.

It's just typical in FP ! The tahitians know for sure if it's going to rain when they see the bugs out the night before.

If Hotel Mandarin left a window open, then that's how they got in.... too bad for you, but it could have happened anywhere else.

It would not be fair to say the mandarin is infested with these horrible things... yes they are horrible ...and huge... yuck ! Wouldn't be fait unless it happens regularly... and no rain the next day !!!

Hope that will help some of you to understand what is happening in our tropical islands...

Glens Falls,New York
Level Contributor
129 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: papeete hotel

terau,No there was no rain the next day.It was beautiful and sunny.We took the le truck into town to shop at the Le Marche and it was in fact very,very warm.Not a cloud in the sky.

Maybe this was just an isolated incident.I don't know.I can only tell people what we experienced during our stay...and first impressions go a long way.

The receptionist did not even offer us another room....it's my opinion that it would have been no different from the room we were originally given.We would not have taken it anyway.

Like islandgirl suggested it might just be seasonal.If you feel comfortable staying there then I say go for it!

Everyone has choices and it's our choice not to stay there again.

Debbie