We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money Exchange in Papeete airport at night ?

Sydney
Level Contributor
15 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Money Exchange in Papeete airport at night ?

We arrive Sun 22:00 and would like to know if anybody know money exchange service is available at that time. Thanks in advance

Washington
Destination Expert
for Papeete, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money Exchange in Papeete airport at night ?

The bank at the airport in Papeete is no longer in operation.

There are ATM machines in the airport.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money Exchange in Papeete airport at night ?

The airport ATMs are a bit unreliable on the weekends. If you can get a small amount of Tahitian cash before you leave home, that would probably be good. You can also exchange a small amount at most of the larger resorts.

Guerneville...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Money Exchange in Papeete airport at night ?

I doubt the cabbies are taking only FFP,if the bank and ATM are not working.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money Exchange in Papeete airport at night ?

Besides an ATM at the old Bank of Polynesie exchange booth (no longer doing exchanges), there is also a bill changer, which will take up to 15 $100USD bills. Make sure to insert them in one single transaction or you will be charged a hefty fee for each bill. The second ATM is at the Socredo Bank, near the curb and next to the Air Tahiti office; you must use your credit card as a "key card" to enter the small lobby where the machine is located.

Even if cab drivers accept USD, they will not give you a very favorable exchange rate, so it's good to have some local cash on hand at arrival.

Mexico
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Money Exchange in Papeete airport at night ?

Barbi, do you know what's the fee for exchanging at the bill changer and the socredo atm? Is the rate good at those points?

Edited: 11:38 am, July 16, 2011
San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money Exchange in Papeete airport at night ?

Arturo,

I think I just sent you a PM. What property are you stayinmg at? Are you going through LAX? What date are you getting into FP?

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
442 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money Exchange in Papeete airport at night ?

Wow, good thing I never exchanged my XPF back to USD when I came home last time, lol. I knew I was going back to FP so I just kept it. Thanks for the info.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money Exchange in Papeete airport at night ?

No, I don't the bill changer rate, and they don't post it on the machine, so you can't see it until you've put your bills in it... You can get some Tahitian currency from Wells Fargo before you leave home; you don't need to be a customer and can do it online, have it delivered by Fed Ex in just a few days. Their rate is pretty decent!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
198 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money Exchange in Papeete airport at night ?

In July 2011, the bank was closed and the ATM was broken. We waited for the bill currency convertor machine but it was painfully slow and no fees disclosed on machine. Next time, we will take a bit of XPF using Wells Fargo or Amex ($4 flat rate) but it does take 3-4 days to receive it.

Bora Bora, French...
Level Contributor
967 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Money Exchange in Papeete airport at night ?

The exchange machines have a max and will charge around 5 us$ but most of the times they do not work, don't rely on them! The Socredo bank at the airport no longer exchanges for non-clients but it also has an ATM outside in the wall for cash with CC, the cabdriver will take us$ but exchange at a very bad rate