We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Sept.

Which Papeete hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winters, CA
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in Sept.

Has anyone went on the cruise out of Papeete in Sept.? We are planning a trip with a 2 day prior and would like to investigate the weather and hotels. Thanks

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Sept.

I can help you on the weather front as my last trip to Bora Bora was in the the month of September. My brother, who also travelled with me to Bora Bora, went during September the one time he went without me. We compared notes extensively. September 85 was the only time I took a lady friend with me to Tahiti. I had always gone with the guys and for that final trip 30th bday self gift, and 2nd trip of that year (much more reasonable priced back then) I took my then girlfriend for a 12 night Bora Bora trip. She had heard me rave continously about how beautiful it is, and the majesty of it's appearance upon arrival from the air and the views from the airport motu. We arrived on Tahiti and the first thing she says is, I thought it would be hotter. It was a bit cool but not cold. We flew to Bora and it wasn't good, heavy clouds, rain, and no let up in sight. We arrived at Bora Bora and I was shocked how cold it felt. We were being picked up privately by Hotel Bora Bora's boat, a bday present from the manager due to it being my b'day trip, and 7th total. We froze going across the lagoon. A big arrival disappointment and I'm sure my then girlfriend wondered what the heck was going on. Don't fret, it was a very strange weather system that had come up from Antarctica and lowered the temps in to the low 60's, with a stiff wind that felt much colder. The next day the weather was beautiful and we basked in a warm sun and enjoyed a tremendous vacation. In summary, September is on the tail end of the south pacific winter. The lagoon temps will be the coolest that they are all year but the water is not cold, just more refreshing. In April the water is so warm it's barely a relief. Nice sunny days in September will average around 80-84 degrees, nights can be a bit chilly (for a tropic locale) but I liked it, better for sleeping. What I mean is 67-70 degrees. I think it's a very good time of the year for weather. My brothers weather in September was according to him, incredibly good. As soon as October came on, he had lots of clouds. Of course not everything is the same but one has a general idea of weather patterns. I spent a total of 14 weeks in late -March in to early April over 4 years. The weather was almost always fairly identical. Lots of sun, a few overcast days, rain at night, and constant tradewinds. Temps were usually 85-89 in the day, 74-77 at night. Only 1982 was different in that it was very hot with little wind. Hope you don't mind the long note but I love to talk about my experiences and help people, even if some people on here think I don't. Cheers, Pub

Winters, CA
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Sept.

Thanks so much for your response. We live in the Sacramento area and were also wondering about flights. What airline did you fly in on? Also we are taking the 10 cruise on the Princess line leaving out of Papeete. We are going to stay 2 days in Papeete then board the ship then stay one day in Papeete after the cruise before we fly home. Any suggestions on a nice hotel. We want to stay in bungalows on the water. Any advise you can give us we certainly will appreciate.

Thanks

Char

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Sept.

Charsacutter, sorry for the delay. The airline I flew on no longer exists. It was a French airline called UTA. It was efficient and pretty much always on time, howver back then the smoking restrictions were not in place, that it was a French airline made it worse. A couple of times we got stuck in the smoking area, don't know how I survived. Air Tahiti Nui woud probaly be a good choice now. Air New Zealand is a great airline but I 've hear their times are not desirable. I like to arrive in the south pacific early morning, most flights were and still are geared to those times. Hopefully another like Shully or Tiki will answer your question about overwaters on Tahiti itself. I know the hotel once called the Beachcomber had them, it's renamed know and I'm not sure the new name. Cheers, Pub

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
255 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Sept.

Char,

If you want to do overwater I would not spend the two nights in Tahiti and would go to Moorea. The Pearl has wonderful overwater bungalows. Pay a little more for the best view. I have posted in a couple of other places but if you haven't gotten your tickets yet Air Tahit Nui is offering a $550 round trip on selected dates in Sept and August. New tickets only, unfortunately for me, my outbound passage is on one of thier days but I have already purchased my ticket.

Have fun, Island Girl