We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raiatea - Hawaiki Nui

Cleveland, Ohio
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Raiatea - Hawaiki Nui

My fiance and I are going to FP for our honeymoon in June, 2008. I've found a lot of good info on Tahiti, Moorea and Bora Bora, but we'll also be staying on Raiatea at the Hawaiki Nui. Does anyone have any comments on the Hawaiki Nui or suggestions for what to do while on Raiatea?

michigan
Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Raiatea - Hawaiki Nui

Just got back. Do a tour with Mata tours. try his cell 689 74 11 43 or 689 65 68 08. Had a great time with him.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Raiatea - Hawaiki Nui

DJ

Erica and I will be staying at the hawiki nui for three days after our sailing.

We had stayed there many years ago, ( 3 diffirent visits) when it was called the Bali Hai, and it was really fun.

Small,and friendly, really good people.

Also, the snorkeling there was just fantanstic. We wound up staying in one of the over water fares and we could climb down our fare's ladder and start snorkeling. There was a glass floor, and we would snap on the underwater lights, and the schools of fish came in small and large fleets.

They also have a nice pool area, as well as pleasant restaurant, and bar.

Early evening, we attended a pareo tying, and tahitian dance program, and that was also great. Do not know if the new owners provide that.

You can rent a car and explore Raiatea, which is quite beautiful. They do have a pearl farm that you can tour, as well as other tours.

Now, back then, we only spent our first and last night at the hotel, in between 10 days of sailing the leeward islands.

Things have changed , probably in several years, but you should be able to keep yourself entertained.

You can take river trip up a natural topical jungle stream. You might check with the locals and find out if the river is navigalble depending on the overgrowth.

We took a private land tour in a van, and learned a lot about the island, polynesian migration, and the maraes.

Again, this was back about the late 90's, and mostly was experiencing the islands from skippering the islands of Raiatea, Taha's, Bora-Bora, and Huahine.

We get a different perspective of the islands since we are not land bound, and can change our anchorages, including places without resorts.

On this Oct. trip, the three days at hawiki nui, we do plan to get in some scuba diving, so that is available.

We would also be inerested in what other posters might be recommending as to activities, and good places to eat. Fun stuff...

Denny and Erica

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Raiatea - Hawaiki Nui

DJ

Holy coconuts, was I off on the years that we were there..

Erica says it was 1985, 1987, and 1990....so, things may have really changed since those visits.

Just one story, about the people at the bali hai.

We had become friends,and knew the wonderful staff all by their first names.

We had a group of people, as we had a flotilla of about 5 sailing vessels for this cruisng vacation.

On the second visit, Bernadette, who lived across the road from the hotel, and the other staff came to say good bye to us as we boarded the bus at oh dark thirty for the airport. I think it was like 5:30.

We hugged good bye, and got all settled in our seats.

The bus started to pull out and the Bali Hai ladies were waving.

Karen, one of our group quietly said, " Oh look, Bernadete is crying ." Yep, tears of farewell.

Pretty special moment. In fact there is a bit of moist eye here, right now. Great memories.

Denny

Cleveland, Ohio
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Raiatea - Hawaiki Nui

Thanks for the great advice, Denny! I'm glad to hear you had such a great experience there, whenever it was! I hope we'll find the same great people and atmosphere. I'm really excited to see how the lifestyle on Raiatea differs from the more other more "touristy" spots - I think it will give us a real feel for what FP is all about!

5. Re: Raiatea - Hawaiki Nui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, September 25, 2009